Wrap or naked all the way ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

siege

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 16, 2015
Southeast Idaho
I am doing a 10 1/2# packer on the 4th. I usually just slather, rub and smoke, Thoughts on doing the butcher paper wrap at 165 deg ?

Go naked, use sun screen and don't let the neighbors see. they apparently frown upon it

Reactions: banderson7474
I have not butcher wrapped a packer, but I have tri tips and butts. I don't think the paper wrap does much for time, but it gives an interesting bark; more tender than nekkid crunchy, but no where near as soft as a foil wrap. If you have the paper, give it a try. I've got a packer in the freezer, and intend to paper wrap it when it finally advances to the smoker.

Reactions: siege
I've done all three, naked, foil and paper, enough times to have decided that I prefer to wrap with paper at 165°+.
I love paper for the bark, it's chewiness and ease of slicing.
Paper does braise, maybe not as fast as foil because it breathes.

Breathes isn't really correct, liquid soaks through and is steamed/cooked off, evaporative cooling that also keeps the paper from burning and/or becoming brittle.

Anyways, I vote for paper wrapping.

Reactions: siege
Thanks for the reply. I just bought a roll of butcher paper and am leaning toward trying it this time. Previous briskets were done in an electric smoker, and stick burners, but I recently added a pellet burner to the line up for the 4th of July family get together.

Last edited:
Go naked, use sun screen and don't let the neighbors see. they apparently frown upon it
When I was growing up, things were so much relaxed.
You could Moon somebody, go Streaking or Flash some TaTa's and you either got smiles and laughs or frowns and disapproving words.
Nowadays, you're arrested, booked, tried/convicted and labeled a Sexual Offender for life.
Unless of course you're at a Pride Parade.

I have smoked too many briskets to count and I have always told myself “I am going to wrap the next one to see how it turns out”, but I never have done it. I have had that roll of paper waiting to be used for years now, but I just can’t talk myself into using it because almost every brisket I have smoked has turned out perfect with no wrap — I guess you can say I am afraid.

Bruce

I have smoked too many briskets to count and I have always told myself “I am going to wrap the next one to see how it turns out”, but I never have done it. I have had that roll of paper waiting to be used for years now, but I just can’t talk myself into using it because almost every brisket I have smoked has turned out perfect with no wrap — I guess you can say I am afraid.

Bruce
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If almost every brisket you ever made turned out perfect, what would you have to gain by changing how you do it ?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If almost every brisket you ever made turned out perfect, what would you have to gain by changing how you do it ?

I always strive to do better with anything I do, so while I may think that what I have been doing was perfect, there is always the chance that wrapping a brisket may make it ‘more perfect’. I guess I need somebody who knows more about brisket to sit at the table with me and my guests — someone objective enough, who has it in them to tell me it isn’t “the best brisket ever”. Then I might not be so afraid to change things up.

I believe I am a good judge of how I like my brisket, and I know it is usually better than anything I have ever eaten at a restaurant, but I am biased...and my family and guests are polite.

I think I may need to see a doctor about this.

Bruce

My eye to hand coordination level isn't high enough to use paper or foil. I like to use a disposable pan with the meat sitting on a rack out of the juices. When I tried foiling without the pan the meats internal temp dropped to much for my liking. With the pan I can get the meat off the grate and into the foil in a matter of seconds. So basically no real heat loss.

Chris

I think wrap or no wrap...depends on what kind of bark you want.
Most of the time I wrap with butcher paper when my brisket gets desired bark.
I feel the paper lets the brisket breathe,but retains some moisture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky