Wood for pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pg77

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 30, 2017
Staten Island
Hi all, I am smoking a pork loin tomorrow. Any suggestions on what wood to use? I was thinking of mixing the cherry and apple. Never mixed 2 fruits before. I usually mix cherry with hickory but am looking for something different. Thx in advance.

I usually do primarily apple with a hit of cherry for the nice color it adds. If you want a more pronounced Smokey flavor then as Chile said a hickory / cherry combo is nice.

Reactions: pg77
Cherry is one of my favorites. Ive done a mix with cherry and pecan and really liked it.

Here in East Texas Pecan, Oak and Hickory on Pork I like Pecan with some Peach thrown in,

Gary

Would you go cherry with a bit of apple? I don’t have any pecan. Or apply with a bit of cherry?

Here is what 50:50 cherry/hickory can do.

Hi all, I am smoking a pork loin tomorrow. Any suggestions on what wood to use? I was thinking of mixing the cherry and apple. Never mixed 2 fruits before. I usually mix cherry with hickory but am looking for something different. Thx in advance.

I use Hickory about 95% of the time, because my taste buds only distinguish the strength of the smoke, and not so much the species of wood.
I do like Cherry for a few things, but since I have trouble burning cherry pellets in my AMNPS, the only Cherry I'll use is Cherry Dust.

Bear

Came out great. Went with mostly apple and a bit of cherry. 3 hrs on the dot to 145. Juicy and tender. My 10 yr old daughter loved it. The true test. Rest of family did as well. Thx for all the help. 5E5CC5A8-84B2-4E73-AAA7-0FF6FB21F326.jpeg 077B26B7-09C0-4269-9E2E-112C2037F6AE.jpeg 7AB6370D-71CB-448C-A163-47901390BB55.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky