Wood chip or wood chunk for gassers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Can I assume woods chips are designed for only electric smokers and for gassers, you use wood chunks? 

you can chips or chunks in a gas smoker. the chucks give you the benefit of a longer period of time producing smoke so you can keep the door closed. chips burn up real fast but there is nothing wrong with using them

Gassers are designed for chunks not chips

Use one of these and it will serve you well

http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNTS
yeahthat.gif
 forget the chips or chunks and smoke pellets, you can get 4 hours out of a tube without opening the door!

I have been mis-informed on my Masterbuilt XL Propane.  When I went to the store to get chips or chunks, the person waited on me said to use chips in a propane smoker, chunks are for electric.   I have been adding chips alot when smoking at a higher temp (Pork Loins) and losing heat when I open the door to replenish the chips.  So from I'm hearing and the picture, chucks are ok to use for propane smokers.  I'm getting ready to get some ribs rubbed and smoke today.  I bought 2 bags of apple chips.  I think I'll get these prepared and go buy the chunks.  As always, thanks for advice.  1 question, I have the Maverick ET-732 from A-MAZE-N which works GREAT showed my smoker thermometer was off 50-75 degrees (Thanks Todd), on Ribs, do I use the meat probe and where do I insert it?  Thanks Again.

You can use either chips or chunks in a gasser but you will go through a lot of chips if used. Another major disadvantage to using chips is that you'll be opening the door much more frequently to add more which in turn causes heat loss = longer cooking times. I will sometimes add a handful of chips to a few chunks just to get the process going a little quicker. If you insist on using chips (and even with chunks), forego the water in the pan and use screened/clean sandbox sand (Lowes/Home Depot has it) instead. You'll find it gets back up to temp. quicker due to the additional mass. Just my $.02

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.  Do I soak the chunks first?  I usually soak the chips for a couple of hours.  I see alot of people use the Tube from A-MAZE-N, where would I place it in my smoker if I was to purchase it?  I currently use a 10" Cast Iron as recommended.  Also, when you say sand in place of water, are you talking about the water pan above the chips?  I planned on filling it with apple juice that was recommended on SMF. 

Thanks for the reply.  Do I soak the chunks first?  I usually soak the chips for a couple of hours.  I see alot of people use the Tube from A-MAZE-N, where would I place it in my smoker if I was to purchase it?  I currently use a 10" Cast Iron as recommended.  Also, when you say sand in place of water, are you talking about the water pan above the chips?  I planned on filling it with apple juice that was recommended on SMF. 
I don't soak either of them. Heat is only going to evaporate the water anyway before they smolder. You CAN'T go wrong with any of the A-MAZE-N products. Todd and others would be a better authority on placement as I don't have the same gasser as you. Yes, playground sand in place of water/juice in the water pan above the chip pan. About 3/4 full. Make sure you line your water pan with HD foil first for easy clean up. Some folks also cover the sand with foil so they can reuse it. As cheap as a 40-50 lb. bag is, I just toss it after each use. A couple advantages to using sand are 1) you won't be opening the door (i.e. losing heat=increased cook time) to refill water that evaporates 2) higher temps which means less fuel used, also good for those in cold states north of S. FL 3) no getting out of bed in the middle of the night to add water on long smokes (large/muliple butts, briskets), and the list goes on. There's a TON of info here about sand vs. water. Just type "sand" in the search bar at the top of the page. If you're concerned with not having enough moisture in the chamber, you can always add a small foil tray of water/juice or spritz the meat. There was a posting in a thread here somewhere about the relationship between moisture and stall time but I couldn't find it. Sorry. Hope this helps. Oh, and I don't use the 732 meat probe on ribs. Not enough mass for it. Just stick to the 2-2-1 method for baby backs.You'll know when they're done by the pull back (meat shrinkage) on the bone.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky