Wide Body Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eschlichte

Original poster
May 31, 2012
I have the Smoky Mountain Series Great Outdoor 3405GW smoker.  I like it and it is working well.  Although it only has the vent on top and a small chip box.  Curious if others have this one and what they do with it to make it better.. Bigger box?? Where did you get it etc.

Also I see alot of posts for the wide version. Can someone point me to where you can get one??

Thanks a ton and I love this site!

I have a 9 or 10 year old 3405GW GOSM. Haven't used it for a couple years now...I wore the chrome off the cooking grates (copper clad and bare steel showing now) or I still would fire it up now and then.

The wide-body GOSM is the 3405BGW (20" wide instead of 16" with the same height and a higher output burner), it's still available at Walmart (roll-back price right now is $139.00, reg $149.00). Prices have gone up about 20 bucks or so in the past year, like most everything else.

There may be a few sporting goods retailers that still sell them...Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, etc...I haven't looked on those types of sites much for a long time, but they may be worth checking out to find a better buy, although Walmart offers free site-to-store shipping.

Eric

I have a GOSM 3405BGW, like the one forluvofsmoke just referenced. I thought the same thing about the chip pan so I got a 9" metal baking pan and then found out I really didn't need it. More chips meant more smoke which meant too much smoke! The chips were still burning up real fast and just making too much smoke. I quit using chips and started using chunks, I use 2 chunks at a time and they produce nice TBS for 45 minutes to an hour, anymore than that and I think it's just too much smoke. I leave the top vent wide open while smoking and the vent around the burner allows enough air in to get a nice flow through it, I don't think it needs any lower vents.

I noticed this is your first post so 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! When you get a minute please stop by Roll Call http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call  and formally introduce yourself to everyone and please update your profile to include your location, it really helps others when they offer advice to you, Thanks!!

There are a lot of mods that can be made to the propane smokers to help them work better so if you have any other questions just shoot them at us!

Now that I've read Dave's response, I realized that I may have misunderstood the opening post regarding a bigger box...I was thinking bigger smoke chamber...
icon_redface.gif
..silly me!

The stock chip box in the 3405GW seems small and chincy, but I never had issues with getting long smoke times with a mix of chips in the bottom, then some small chunks in amongst the chips. The chips start earlier than the chucks due to more surface area, then as they are getting burned-up, the chunks take over and smoke a lot longer. I don't soak the smoke wood (that's another discussion that's been beaten quite hard), I use the chip pan cover, I start on high flame until I start smelling smoke out the vent, then dial back the flame to the desired chamber temp. Sometimes I start with the cabinet door open with high flame, as it may take a few minutes to get the wood smoking, and chamber temps may climb above target temp with the door closed. Anyway, I have run for anywhere from 4-6 hours without adding smoke wood with pork butts or picnics on the grate for all-nighters...a good mix of varied sizes (with the majority being chunks) seems to do the trick for length of smoke generation.

The main thing to remember about using smoke wood chips or chunks is that if you can smell smoke, you're smokin'. You don't want a heavy white smoke, though it may start out this way, then settle in to a nice thin smoke after a few minutes or so. The initial onset of white smoke is mostly water vapor flashing off from the smoke wood...once the water vapor is gone, thin smoke should soon follow. If the smoke stays heavy, too much heat or air is getting to the smoke wood. Get the right balance of heat and air to the smoke wood, and you're all set to go. If you need to, you can play a little trick to limit air getting to the wood by covering the slotted vent holes of the smoke wood box from the inside with a bit of foil, or even place the wood inside a foil pouch, poke a few holes in the foil, then put it into the chip box. There are probably a dozen more ways to control air getting to the smoke wood, and also you can do mods to raise/lower the smoke wood box in relation to the heat source for even better control of smoke generation to compensate for varied burner settings and btu output with seasonal weather changes, or when mother nature is trying to throw a wrench in your gears with wind, rain or snow.

There are lots of ways to make things work in your favor...you just gotta find that sweet spot sometimes and roll with it.

And, yes, I forgot to welcome you to the SMF family!

Eric

Good info Eric! I never knew that the white smoke at first was just moisture burning off, I thought it was too much wood smoke and that's what scared me off from using much wood in the pan. I never soak my wood but always got that white smoke at first. The small wood pan is a problem though because it is so shallow that I can't put the lid on with chunks, maybe smaller chunks. I'm going to have to try this again and trust that the initial white smoke is moisture and not creating creosote. I've never got more than an hour of smoke and for you to say 4-6 than I've got to give it another shot.

Thanks for all the replies..   I wish this one had an air adjustment at the bottom but I have only used it twice and I am a newbie so I had pretty good results for my first time.  I am going to do some pork shoulder / butt for my daughters birthday this weekend..  Hope it goes well!!

Did you put a seal around your door?? I noticed it leaks just a bit

I get just a bit of leak around the door but the smoke still comes out the vent at the top so I don't think i'm losing enough to really matter.

If you are getting a good flow out the top then that means there is air coming in at the bottom.

The lack of adjustable air intakes on the bottom is not an issue with the smaller cabinet smokers, that's why most don't have them..

Be patient with your pork shoulder, and remember to get bone-in if you can. Less restrictive cooking for those than bone-less if you don't inject it with marinade, as it's an intact whole muscle meat, so the 40-140* rule won't apply. Also, wait to probe for internal temps for about 3-4 hours...probe too early and you could force any surface bacteria into the meat where they could do their nasty work if internal temps don't make 40-140* in 4 hours.

If you need more info on pulled pork smokes, check the pork forum. Also, in my signature line, look for "Brined Butts"...(I'm accused of leaving lot's of method and tips in my threads...LOL!!!) Approx 200* internal temp, probe for tenderness and cook longer if needed, foil and wrap in towels to rest for a few hours before pulling. No-foil smoke can run 2 - 2.5+ hrs/lb and yeilds an awesome bark on the meat. If you foil to reach finished temps at about 170-180*, figure approx 1.5-1.75-hrs/lb...bark will become less prominent with foiling to reach finished temps, but cuts cooking time...add meat/smoker prep and resting time to your overall smoke time, of course...just a crash course in case you needed it.

Dave,

That's one inherent problem with cabinet smokers...door leakage...even my Smoke Vault 24 will mess with you're mind if you don't know how to correct it. Make sure it's on a flat, level surface. Then, make sure all 4 legs are tugged out away from the cabinet slightly...this all helps to square-up the cabinet. If the door is damaged or bent, that can be corrected with some patience and very gentle convincing. If it is damaged, you can eyeball it and tell for sure...all straight edges should be just that...straight. If not, let me know what you're dealing with and I can help you come up with a fix...(been there, done that).

Eric

Eric, I don't get that much leakage, just a little bit, and like I said plenty comes out the top so I don't think it's really a problem.

Thanks everyone.  The pork is in the fridge wrapped in plastic with Jeff's Secret Rub on it.  Cannot wait to smoke it tommorow.  Using the basic recipe that is on this site and I will be using the finishing sauce.. Cannot wait.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky