Whole Ribeye .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those Look nice & Tender, Rich!!
No such thing as too much fat---We can always trim some off.
I think you're gonna love those Babies!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
That's a fine looking haul of beef Rich, good work! I've been buying full standing rib roasts in the bag for 40 years and backing off the bones for a couple of roasts and some steaks. I don't know about back east but I've found the best times to score are just before the Christmas and Easter holidays, usually about five bucks a pound. You're in for some good eats, don't overcook and let it rest some before slicing. RAY
View attachment 526708

Yup---Here too---Usual Best time to buy:
#1 Christmas Week
#2 Easter Week
#3 Sometimes Thanksgiving

Bear

Trash the fat?!?!?!?!?!?!

Get a grinder! Buy round on sale and grind it with that delicious white gold for the best ground beef on the planet! I'm pretty sure my grinder has paid for itself twice (I always shop the sales) and the burgers-loaves-tacos are tres magnifique!

Back many many moons ago I was a head cook in a decent little restaurant. I bought no-rolls exclusively. Leaner ones (just slice 'em in half to determine quality) were made into prime rib or sandwiches but most of them were at least choice or better. Went from there to manage a Western Sizzlin' that was owned by a butcher (butcher shop attached to the restaurant and all) and after I convinced him to order a case (or rather I just ordered the dam thing and braced for the fussing) - we used no rolls for both of those businesses too.

EDIT: I missed where you said you were saving the clean to grind lol!!!!! My bad! I didn't expand the pictures and thought that was a bowl of tails.

• Love
Reactions: negolien
EDIT: I missed where you said you were saving the clean to grind lol!!!!! My bad! I didn't expand the pictures and thought that was a bowl of tails.
I appreciate the correction . I grind almost all my ground beef , and save all the trim for sausage or sticks .

My goodness . Looks like if the weather isn't to crappy tomorrow I'll be going to GFS to see if they have some more for the same price .
20220223_183449.jpg
I made some Au jus from beef base ,
roasted garlic , onion and white wine .
20220223_184013.jpg
The horseradish didn't make the picture , but I did add it at the table .
Not much talking went on at this meal .

That looks awesome good price as well

Looks awesome Rich! If I had more room in the freezers I’d have to check our GFS. The finished smoked one looks phenomenal! I may be the only one who doesn’t know but what does “no roll” mean?

I may be the only one who doesn’t know but what does “no roll” mean?
Jeff it means that it wasn't graded . The stamp that gets applied to the vac'd package is on a wheel . Select , choice or prime . It's rolled down the package marking it to the grade it is . " No roll " is ungraded . Doesn't always mean it didn't make a grade , just that they didn't do it .

Reactions: jcam222
Great score and excellent cook Rich! I wish they had GFS round here. That roast is perfectly cooked, and delicious I'm sure. Nice job.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky