Whole boneless pork loin on sale...Time to make CB!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Good deal on loins. When they are on slae here , I stock up and freeze them.

I get butts for 1.99 here and I am not that far from Bear. That's odd.

Where do you shop?
We don't have any memberships, and only shop at "Giant" & "Weis".

Bear

Update:
CB is still curing. I took the food lug out of the frig that the bags are in, gently moved the cure around in the bag, squeezed the loins an yep firming up nicely. Hope to smoke sat. or sunday.

BTW, rode up to the meat processor in Baton Rouge. I can get pork bellies for $2.24/lb. But it's a 70# box of bellies. I don't need 70# of bellies, but I have some people who will go in on it with me. I'm looking forward to making belly bacon and smoking it in my new smokehouse. And thanks to tx smoker, I will have a slicer to cut it up. Will pick up the bellies in about a month or so.

Update:
CB is still curing. I took the food lug out of the frig that the bags are in, gently moved the cure around in the bag, squeezed the loins an yep firming up nicely. Hope to smoke sat. or sunday.

BTW, rode up to the meat processor in Baton Rouge. I can get pork bellies for $2.24/lb. But it's a 70# box of bellies. I don't need 70# of bellies, but I have some people who will go in on it with me. I'm looking forward to making belly bacon and smoking it in my new smokehouse. And thanks to tx smoker, I will have a slicer to cut it up. Will pick up the bellies in about a month or so.

What processor? Choctaw? Skinless or skin-on bellies? If it wasn't Choctaw - check them out. Cash only, but they have great prices on loins, even better than sale prices at Ralph's. I only buy skinless bellies, and I get those by the case from Sam's. 30-50 lb cases (5 lb bellies, anywhere from 6-10 in a case), and the price varies as the commodities price varies.

Today is day #8. Time to pull the CB from the brine and let it dry...

On rack to dry...
DSC02721.JPG

I put the rack on top of a 25# meat tote cover since I do not have a sheet pan that big. Worked great! In the frig. for ~36-40 hours. I had planned on smoking them tomorrow but have to push it back to Monday afternoon because a friend needs my help with a project Sunday.

Hey Bear, I gotta improvise on the extract. The company changed the one I use to use...they no longer use real maple flavor from the bark, it's fenugreek along with other flavors. It's just not the same....so disappointed. Think I'll use Brown sugar but I'm open to suggestions....

Last edited:
Today is day #8. Time to pull the CB from the brine and let it dry...

On rack to dry...
View attachment 358388
I put the rack on top of a 25# meat tote cover since I do not have a sheet pan that big. Worked great! In the frig. for ~36-40 hours. I had planned on smoking them tomorrow but have to push it back to Monday afternoon because a friend needs my help with a project Sunday.

Hey Bear, I gotta improvise on the extract. The company changed the one I use to use...they no longer use real maple flavor from the bark, it's fenugreek along with other flavors. It's just not the same....so disappointed. Think I'll use Brown sugar but I'm open to suggestions....

I heard about "fenugreek" a couple years ago. They say it tastes like Maple Syrup, but I never got any to try.

I figured it wasn't that important, and stuck with Brown Sugar too.

Bear

I have sampled fenugreek and it is very close to maple. It is one of the main flavorings in artificial Maple Syrup. But it just is not the same as the real deal. The one I used was made from maple bark and resin from normal wood processing. With the belly bacon I plan on doing, I think I'll inject it with maple syrup like Disco does and go that route. See how it turns out.

Pulled the CB out today to smoke it. Something came up; can't smoke it monday so I have to do it today.

About to season them up. Doing 4 Black Pepper and 2 piri piri...

DSC02721.JPG

Inda smokehouse about to add wood...
DSC02722.JPG

2 hours @150, then once INT reached 100*; 2 hours @ 275* to finish @140*. Shut the propane off and let the INT rise to 145* then pulled from the smokehouse...
DSC02723.JPG

I left the fat cap and the silver skin on so no problem stringing them up if you go through the silver skin.

On the cooling rack now then inda fridge for a couple days before slicing with the slicer tx smoker is sending me.

Looking GREAT !! (Put "Drooling" Smilie here)

I'm Anxious to see the slices!! (Put "Popcorn eating" Smilie here)
Be Back----

Bear

Last edited:
The pre and post pellicle pics look awfully similar? Thanks for posting the smoke time. Kinda surprising only 4 hours. It is very interesting of wide range of smoke techniques and times for CB. If mine turns out OK I am gonna try some BBB. WRT maple extract: google organic flavor extract. Nature Flavors is a well known vendor but there are others. That said, I would say simply use maple wood for smoke. Family loves maple flavor meats but not me... In fact, I plate pancakes or waffles separately so not to get any syrup on my meat! :D

The cross cut this morning after chilling in the refrig...
DSC02727.JPG

Soooo juicy!
DSC02728.JPG

Will slice tomorrow, can't get to it today. Too much going on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky