Who roasts their own coffee on their BBQ or Grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Coffee beans come in a cherry. Depending on the ripeness of the cherry makes a difference in the chaff. Coffee is hand picked. The reason it has a flat side is that is a cherry off a female coffee plant. If you get a round one (peaberry) that's a male plant. The chaff difference depends on the ripeness of the cherry and the method used to extract and dry it from the bean. The original Blue Mountain field is owned by Sangsters. They make Tia Maria. It was almost impossible to buy. In the 80's I could get $35 to $45 a pound for it roasted.

The name Blue Mountain is now attributed to an area and marketed that way. If you have real Blue Mountain it has a distinct chocolate taste and is so mild you have to brew it with almost double the amount of coffee you would normally use. What you probably have was called High Mountain which refers to the growing area around the original plantation. Real Blue Mountain if you can actually find it is probably around $70+ a pound or more. Buy a bottle of Tia Maria put it an cordial glass and hold it in your hand for awhile. It's called Tia Maria up at blood. (your body temp). Find that taste in coffee you got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
Well, I have now roasted coffee and got almost no chaff. I just did two back-to-back Costa Rican coffee roasts to a lighter City+ level and got almost zero chaff. About to do a third roast (update: no chaff for the third time). Stopped the roasts about halfway through the first crack.

Three weeks ago I roasted the same green beans to a Full City/Full City+ level and took a chaff shower.

Interesting.
Such interesting stuff aye hahaha. I have half a pound I need to roast and get out of the way. This would be a way lighter roast than I normally do so I'll see what happens :)

Reactions: noboundaries
Had never heard of Blue Mountain.
Found it listed for $78/lb. And if you consider your supposed to use twice your normal amount, that's effectively $150 /lb.
I LOVE coffee. But next time I've got that kinda cash burning a whole in my pocket... I'm buying waygu. And if it happens again... Still waygu. Lol.
🥩🥩🥩
If someone finds green beans for sale though, if be interesting in getting as a gift for someone assuming they are much cheaper.

Edit: found it a few places. Green beans $35 - $42 /lb. Still to rich for my blood.

Last edited:
Here's a bit coffee smarts.
If roasters seal the beans in nitrogen they do not oxidize. That's often used commercially.
If you buy roasted beans in the store, take the bag and squeeze it. Roasted coffee produces gas after roasting. That's why there is a one way valve on the bag. If you smell any indication of caramel don't buy it. If there is no smell, don't buy it. If the bag shows no inflation don't buy it.
If you see an oil on the bottom of the beans they're stale. The best way to keep a bag of roasted coffee beans is frozen. Grind it frozen and put the bag back in the freezer. Cold slows down the oxidation. If you see an oil sheen on your cup of coffee you either didn't use enough or your brewing temp was too high.
If you are roasting green beans let them sit a while and cool before you grind them. That lets the chemical process occurring from the roast finish. I usually put them in a wire strainer and blow a fan on them. The darker the roast 1 pop vs 2 pop the more oil will appear on the bean.
There is an art to coffee. Coffee tasters are like wine tasters. Sip and spit. That's how they insure a similarity in blends. They make big bucks but they don't sleep well. :)

I just now found this thread and haven’t read every entry, but in skimming, I didn’t see anyone using a rotisserie with a Napoleon basket. Since many professional roasters use a drum, a rotisserie basket seems natural. Any thoughts?

There are a few posts in this thread where folks are using rotisserie and basket. It works fine. Just gotta dial in your RPMs and heat.

I've got an old rotisserie for a defunct gas grill. The attachment parts have disappeared. One of these days I'll build one for the Weber. Until then, I've got my current hands-on setup all dialed in.

I have a behmore roaster, which is essentially a infrared heater with a drum on a rotisserie.
My dream is a rotisserie over a wood or charcoal fire. But it's pretty low on the priority list for me at this point.

Costa Rica Dota El Conquistador!

After the med change, I noticed huge problems going away. Decided to try no creamer. First 20 oz roast was a Full City-FC+ roast. Mmmm mmmm good.

Second 20 oz roast was a Light Vienna, which was a bit too dark for those beans. I roast everything by sound alone these days. That morning it was windy, recess in the elementary school close by, and the dog next door barked constantly at squirrels in the trees. When a quiet moment occurred, all I heard was Rice Krispies. Ruh oh.

That brings me to the three 20 oz, same day, City+ roasts this week. Two are gifts. I pour-over brewed a mug for me this morning after a two day rest. Ahhhh, so good.

Costa Rica Dota El Conquistador!

After the med change, I noticed huge problems going away. Decided to try no creamer. First 20 oz roast was a Full City-FC+ roast. Mmmm mmmm good.

Second 20 oz roast was a Light Vienna, which was a bit too dark for those beans. I roast everything by sound alone these days. That morning it was windy, recess in the elementary school close by, and the dog next door barked constantly at squirrels in the trees. When a quiet moment occurred, all I heard was Rice Krispies. Ruh oh.

That brings me to the three 20 oz, same day, City+ roasts this week. Two are gifts. I pour-over brewed a mug for me this morning after a two day rest. Ahhhh, so good.
El Conquistador! A fitting name.

I roasted another natural (dry process) coffee this morning, a Brazilian bean. Chaff shower. So much for the natural process/no chaff idea.

More importantly, I learned about propane tank regulators. I attempted to roast for the last two days on my Camp Chef 14" burner. No gas came out of the tank that was still 3/8's full. Tried another tank that was near empty but still had some propane in it. Nada.

The same thing has happened in the past after the tank sat out in the sun in 100F+ weather, but this time, no temp over 60F. I vented a tank just in case. Nothing. I figured it was a stuck valve in the regulator and thought about heating the "unattached" regulator but first looked up what was inside that thing. Lots of plastic and rubber. Heating? Nope. Not a good idea.

Banged the regulator a half-dozen times on a tabletop. It worked! Nice gas flow. Then proceeded to overroast my coffee because a neighbor started a lawnmower and I couldn't hear the bean (cherry) cracks. It'll still get consumed, though.

I ordered another regulator and hose for $9.

Reactions: tallbm
Interesting.

I've been struggling lately with a Brazilian that seemingly skips first crack. My roaster doesn't have good visibility, so I operate primarily on sounds and time. Burnt every batch so far.

To circle back to the black pepper in coffee: I've started throwing 15 or so black peppercorns in the grinder when I grind my whole coffee beans. Works perfectly!
I miss your pepper coffee at work and when on travel. And I've noted it's better when the ground pepper is fresh. So it makes sense grinding from corns gives you fresher pepper. Trying it tomorrow

Thanks, Bill. I only grind enough beans for the cup I'm making. Peppercorns go in first, then the roasted beans. My first Melitta pour-over cup of the day is finishing the drip as I type. Mmmmm mm good.

My grinder is crummy. The beans were ground fine like I like, but you could tell the peppercorns were mixed in like coarse ground pepper, and I'd already learned if using coarse pepper you need more. Tomorrow morning, extra peppercorns.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky