Who knows about Vinegar?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meat hunter

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 3, 2009
I have a question about vinegar. I know there are several types, apple cider, rice, and so on. When it comes right down to it, are they basically all the same? I am interested in Malt Vinegar for a recipe that I want to try that involves canning and I do not know if this is something that I can swap out. Any input is appreciated.

They're all a fermented product. Each with they're own characteristics. Often times they would be swappable with another type of vinegar but will certainly change the taste. Sometimes it's the ph level of the vinegar that a recepie might be calling for. And that's something I really don't know anything about. But I did find this for you...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-vinegar.htm

There are many different types of vinegars, depending on what liquid the ethanol has been fermented in. For example, what we call white vinegar is brewed through oxidizing a distilled alcohol. Apple cider vinegar is made from apple must, which is the freshly pressed apple with its various solid components (pulp, skin, stem, etc.), and sold unfiltered. Similarly, the aromatic balsamic vinegar is made from the must of white grapes. Traditionally brewed in Italy, authentically aged balsamic vinegar is very expensive; the inexpensive store-bought varieties we see today are made with a strong vinegar combined with natural flavors and sugars. In other parts of the world outside of the United States, vinegar derived from raisins, cane, coconut, rice, dates, and even honey are popular as well.

Here's some specifics on Malt Vinegar
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-malt-vinegar.htm

I found this. I hope it helps

malt vinegar = alegar Notes: Most of us know malt vinegar as the condiment that's always put on the table wherever British fish and chips are served. It's made from malted barley, and has a pungent, lemony flavor. It's a good choice for pickling (assuming it contains at least 5% acetic acid), though it will darken light-colored fruits and vegetables
2.gif
. It's also the vinegar of choice for making chutneys. Since it's so assertive, it's not a good choice for vinaigrettes or delicate sauces. Varieties include brown malt vinegar and distilled malt vinegar, which is clear. Substitutes: lemon juice (with fish and chips) OR cider vinegar OR white wine vinegar

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. This answers my question perfectly. Thanks to both of you.

One thing to be aware of is different vinegars have different acidity levels, which can be a issue when canning. White distilled vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar are typically labeled 5% acidity, which is what canning recipes call for (even if they don't spell it out). I wouldn't use malt vinegar, unless the label clearly states its 5% acidity.

From National Center for Home Food Preservation General Info on Pickled & Fermented Foods: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/prep_foods.html
Caution: The level of acidity in a pickled product is as important to its safety as it is to taste and texture.
  • Do not alter vinegar, food, or water proportions in a recipe or use a vinegar with unknown acidity.
  • Use only recipes with tested proportions of ingredients.
  • There must be a minimum, uniform level of acid throughout the mixed product to prevent the growth of botulinum bacteria.
They have more articles on pickling & canning you might want to read: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can6b_pickle.html

Hey Meat Hunter,
I believe that I just read somthing about the different types of vinegar here on one of these threads. Wish I could remember where. Maybe you can try doing a search for it. If you do find it please let me know. I will do the same thing on my end!

Thomas
biggrin.gif

Meathunter,
The previous replys give you a lot more information and additional resources than this one will, but a short answer - YES - vinegars can be very diffferent. We do a lot of pickle canning, and my wife takes it a step further by saying that not all apple vinegar is the same... perfering the Heinz brand.
So... when it comes to BBQ, I think we are with you in finding the best and not going the cheap or easy route. I too am looking forward to what you find.
Tracey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky