Which stick burner to buy??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow that KBQ site is very informative and a good read for anyone here.

That said, my $100 display model offset waits for me on the patio. I love that thing (see my sig).

I read the site and used the Contact link to send thanks and quickly got a personal reply from Bill Karau.

I would say that's cool but that isn't appropriate for smoking *G*

Hey Stump,

Thnx for sharing your story, glad to know I'm not alone. Keep me posted on what you end up with. I've written off this year and setting my sights on next season! The Shirley does look awesome but the wait is now over a year!! Also the Lone star Grillz 24 x 36 looks amazing, a little expensive for my budget but I'm sure it's a solid unit.

Foghat had an interesting suggestion, https://www.texasoriginalpits.com/   they pay for shipping on orders over $1200 I'm pretty sure, they look solid but are produced in Mexico.

Keep doing research and keep the faith!

Mikekevs

To save on shipping large heavy stuff check out u ship. You post pictures,description location information and people bid on your job. I shipped a 400lb snowblade from Ohio to Massachusetts for $140.

RG
thumb1%20copy.gif

Hey Gentlemen,

So as winter nears end, I am once again immersed in searching for an offset smoker. Last year I had one commisioned from Bell Fab but we had some communication issues and the deal fell through. I live in Charlottesville Va., so shipping is deal breaker on a lot of good smokers. I'm currently looking at Lang 36 patio (shipping puts in the "expensive" category), Hayes BBQ (good price and reasonable shipping), luling from texas original pits(good price, made in mexico??). Loved the lone star grills but out of price range. Trying to stay in the $1500 range.
Any new fabricators out there I should check out? Any advice is truly appreciated .

Mikekevs

Well that last post was in April. I was told the build out would be 4 weeks. Here it is almost July and I still don't have the smoker and he has informed that he was holding off because He didn't think I wanted it anymore. Just a ridiculous unprofessional experience with this builder. I'm sure his pits are good but it's not worth the hassle. I own a business and if I treated my customers this way I'd be out of business a long time ago.

email from Edwin on June 5th:

I'm sorry buddy. I dropped the ball on this one. I will get started. Give me till next weekend . It will be finished.

My response on June 15th, 10 days later:
Can I get an update?

Thank you,

Michael

His response:

I replied to your message 2 weeks ago. I didn't hear back from you. I assumed you didn't want it. I realized you work nights. If I build it , I don't want to be stuck with it.

Edwin

Not my intention to bash them, just take caution when going with this builder. I don't have a smoker for the summer and now have to start the process all over again, which just sucks!

MK
I got my Bell Fab in 8 days. I even ask for a last minute change, that he accommodated. Sorry you had a different experience.

Yup, not at all my experience unfortunately. I don't speak at all against his character or his product which I'm sure are both excellent. Just for some reason my experience was just so disappointing.

Yup, not at all my experience unfortunately. I don't speak at all against his character or his product which I'm sure are both excellent. Just for some reason my experience was just so disappointing.

I had the same problem trying to find something shipped to Buffalo NY at a reasonable price. I took advantage of the Fathers Day Sale that they had at Texas Original Pits two weeks ago. They have a 2 - 3 week turnaround right now.....Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I went with the 16" which is 36" long, so it is like the Cheyenne only longer. I did find a Horizon dealer about 2 hours from here in Northern PA...but it was either get the 16" classic that was too short, or the 20" classic that was overkill. He also only stocked the loaded ones so that was more than I wanted to spend. Other than Texas Original, ordering everywhere else was 8 - 12 weeks lead time, except the Horizon in stock if you wanted the fully loaded more expensive version.

I too was reluctant at first since there were few reviews out there...there are a few guys with youtube videos though. I did call the company myself and spoke with the owner before placing my order. I also added in probe ports and a heat management plate which came in about 100 bucks over the 16 x 32 Horizon (smaller with no goodies) and had free shipping. They also had a promotion with a free wood rack and apron....neat. I will report back once I have mine running this weekend. So far the process has been painless...ordered what I wanted right from their website. The promotion they are running right now is not quite as good, but still has free shipping. Also....lead times are reasonable.

I am not sure where you find info claiming Texas Original Pits is made in Mexico?

From their site:

"Each pit is handcrafted completely in our Houston, Texas facility by folks that love building fires and cooking BBQ. Because we cook on the same pits we build we understand the importance of things like holding an even temperature across the length of a cook, minimizing wood consumption, and of course maximizing heat retention. If you have a question about pit design or construction (even if it's not ours), airflow, customizations, construction tolerances … anything at all, call us. The same guys who build out pits will be the ones answering your call, and we would be very pleased to tell you why we love our pits and how we use them."

I had the same problem trying to find something shipped to Buffalo NY at a reasonable price. I took advantage of the Fathers Day Sale that they had at Texas Original Pits two weeks ago. They have a 2 - 3 week turnaround right now.....Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I went with the 16" which is 36" long, so it is like the Cheyenne only longer. I did find a Horizon dealer about 2 hours from here in Northern PA...but it was either get the 16" classic that was too short, or the 20" classic that was overkill. He also only stocked the loaded ones so that was more than I wanted to spend. Other than Texas Original, ordering everywhere else was 8 - 12 weeks lead time, except the Horizon in stock if you wanted the fully loaded more expensive version.

I too was reluctant at first since there were few reviews out there...there are a few guys with youtube videos though. I did call the company myself and spoke with the owner before placing my order. I also added in probe ports and a heat management plate which came in about 100 bucks over the 16 x 32 Horizon (smaller with no goodies) and had free shipping. They also had a promotion with a free wood rack and apron....neat. I will report back once I have mine running this weekend. So far the process has been painless...ordered what I wanted right from their website. The promotion they are running right now is not quite as good, but still has free shipping. Also....lead times are reasonable.

I am not sure where you find info claiming Texas Original Pits is made in Mexico?

From their site:

"Each pit is handcrafted completely in our Houston, Texas facility by folks that love building fires and cooking BBQ. Because we cook on the same pits we build we understand the importance of things like holding an even temperature across the length of a cook, minimizing wood consumption, and of course maximizing heat retention. If you have a question about pit design or construction (even if it's not ours), airflow, customizations, construction tolerances … anything at all, call us. The same guys who build out pits will be the ones answering your call, and we would be very pleased to tell you why we love our pits and how we use them."
I took a look at the Texas Original site and those smokers look impressive. You appear to have chosen very well. I can only imagine the smoking bliss I could achieve running that thing. Congrats on the purchase.

George

SNeal,

Yeah, not sure where I got the bad info re: the Texas lulling smoker being produced in Mexico. Honestly I was doing so much research at the time that I prob got my signals crossed. I ended up with a Lang36 that I love. I put an ad on for Uship and Ben Lang matched the offer so I was able to save a few bucks on shipping. Have 2 cooks on her so far and she's a pleasure to work. Great craftsmanship!
If I were looking to spend a little less I think I would have def gone with the Lulling. Best of luck with it and again, Thanks to all who gave advice, it's very much appreciated.

MK

OK so I stand corrected after my experience with Texas Original Pits....I would not recommend them or their product. Maybe others have not had fabrication issues with their units like I did....but their do nothing customer service is horrendous and they offered no solutions for sending me an issue with issues. I sold it after a few months of no-solution back and forth with them. Now I am just building my own, instead of taking a chance on another builder. For the same money, I am getting a much bigger smoker, and I won't be dealing with any risks of poor quality control combined with poor customer service. I figured I would close the loop on that if anyone is reading this and preparing to taking a chance on that with them.

I think if you are still in market the Lang is the way to go. I just bought my second one and they are amazing products. shipping may be high but when you move 6-900 lbs for hundreds of miles that isnt cheap. I love my Lang so much i bought another, that is my endorsement.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky