Which Gloves?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

torchrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I have heard when smoking bigger cuts of meat that you dont want to pierce them with a fork and some are too heavy to lift with tongs. So I was thinking a good pair of gloves would work well. Does anyone do this? What gloves do you recommend? I have heard firefighter gloves may be good. New of course.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I got a pair of DuraWorx PVC coated at Lowes (I think). They were $6 and clean-up is a breeze - slosh on some liquid dish detergent while wearing them, wash you hands. They lined so the heat from meat is not a problem. Now I'd not trust them to hold up handling a grate or any hot piece of metal.

Come to think of it, I wonder if PVC is something to be feared? Anyone out there know? They're only in contact with the meat for a very short period of time - like from the smoker to a tray.

I use the same thing as Placebo and acemakr, they work great and can be found real cheap at stores like Lowes, Home Depot etc....

for the grates and other hot metal, the same stores sell cheap Welding gloves that work well also

Good Luck

Yep, I'm with you guys.^^^^

Welding gloves or some long gauntlet leather gloves for the grates and such. For meat handling I use The Black Knight gloves by Best. Lined, textured PVC, long gauntlets and easy on and off.

Black nitrile gloves for food prep, etc.

I've been using the gloves you find on the cleaning aisle at the grocery store until i decide exactly what i want... you know, yellow rubbery deals. Have worked fine thus far for meats, but so hard to get off...

I don't have any gloves yet but I have use my hands alot and B...ch afterwards and then say I'm gonna buy a good pair. But Jerry has a good set and I don't know what they are but their gloves where you can pick up really hot stuff and you wouldn't get burnt.

My wife bought me some bbq mitts that have some heat resistant neoprene, they work pretty good. If I have to grab a hot pork butt or chicken, and I can't use my tongs, I always have alum foil on hand, tear off two small pieces and grab the meat with that and my mitts on.

I would like to get some good heat resistant gloves, I'm not sure if I want to go all pvc or some welder type and keep using foil for the wet n sticky. I think I am dealing more with hot coals and grates than handling food, so most likely the welder type. There are some gloves out there good too about 1000º. I do pizza on my weber kettle and that pizza stone is heavy and gets to 600-800º and sometimes I have to move it, having gloves that I can pick that stone up with would be nice. However I'm not sure I'm willing to pay the bucks necessary for them.

I have a set of nasty black work gloves for handling racks, charcoal baskets etc.
A pair of thinner leather gloves for fire tending and handling of various hot trays, thermo probes, etc..
And an Ove Glove as seen on tv that I use quite a bit and ALWAYS have on my left hand when I'm using cast iron on the grill or side burner..

I use a pair of silicon gloves. They are great for hot items. I can pick up any meat with them, move a rack up or down etc. I have been told that you can pick up a burning piece of charcoal with them for just a few seconds. They run about $20.00. If you want to check thm out just Google silicon gloves.

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky