When should I wrap my brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meathead14

Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Arizona
Got a 15lb brisket in the smoker now planning a 10-12 hour cook. Don't want it to get too much smoke so wondering when I should wrap it?

Reactions: kruizer
I usually wrap at 160 degrees. Ive found that with briskets it is not always an exact science. I keep mine simple both in brine ingredients and resting period. merry Christmas all!

At the stall, about 160 or so degrees
Chris

Don't worry about too much smoke. Once the meat temperature reaches around 140-145°, it will quit taking smoke.

If I'm wrapping, I will do it when the flat hits 160-165°.

I would have to agree with this! Tried my first naked brisket this weekend and it was phenomenal!!! 10.5 pounds and took about 18 hours at 225
NICE!! I was nervous as h**l the first time i didnt wrap - then I asked why was I wrapping....

you can cut the time down quite a bit if you run the temp at 250-275 too.

NICE!! I was nervous as h**l the first time i didnt wrap - then I asked why was I wrapping....

you can cut the time down quite a bit if you run the temp at 250-275 too.
I tried but now in the winter time running my WSM with all vents open and can barely reach 250 using the minion method.

I wish I had more pics of the brisket but once I sliced it my big family devoured it so quickly! But this is a pick of the flat section.

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_161646.jpg
    IMG_20200105_161646.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 92
I usually wrap between 3-5 hours depending on the size. Same as what everybody else says around 160. This last year I’ve been doing double wrap with one layer parchment and one layer foil to seal it tight. This might sound crazy but I feel like straight foil can react with the smoke and give it a metallic taste. Layer of parchment paper helps prevent it.

Don't worry about too much smoke. Once the meat temperature reaches around 140-145°, it will quit taking smoke.

If I'm wrapping, I will do it when the flat hits 160-165°.
stupid question How do you tell when it gets to 160.

stupid question How do you tell when it gets to 160.

Tom,

Not stupid at all except if you don't ask...asking questions is a good way to learn new things.

You can check/monitor the internal temp of any chunk of meat with a good meat thermometer. Many of us use a good instant read probe thermometer (like the Thermoworks Thermopen) to check periodically. Or, for a more convenient way to monitor the internal temp, get some kind of remote electronic BBQ thermometer, like a Maverick ET-732 or an Inkbird IBT-4XS, and place the probe in the center of a cut of meat while it cooks. The unit will monitor the internal temps and send the signal to a monitoring device (a receiver or a smart phone). That way you can keep track of how your meat's doing without even opening the cooker.

Red

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomshea
yes what seenred seenred said. there is an inkbird rep on here with regular deals posted. I think they sell mostly on amazon. Probes are the easiest. I like an instant read to check other places too. some thermometers can get spendy. take some time, build up an assortment as you see what you like and need. I like thermoworks but thats what i started with years ago. they are having a sale - I noted this when I copied the link. the DOTS are great and reliable. MK4's are very nice but spendy (i asked for one for christmas and got it) good luck!

Ask any questions - we are here to support and help each other.

I usually wrap my brisket when the it gets the desired bark I want. Wrapping with butcher paper retains moisture and helps it cook a little faster.

They’ve got you well covered here. Wrap or not wrap boils down to personal choice and time. The one key point for smoking in general is that a good remote thermometer is going to make it far easier for you to turn out consistent and delcious smoked meats.

Reactions: sandyut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky