When is wood no good to use?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Aaawew

Original poster
Jul 24, 2020
I got some Apple wood for smoking but some of it doesn't look the best. Some of the wood had been dead a while and was infested with earwigs so I am not using that wood. Some looks like what I have attached, it is much lighter (weight wise) than the rest and looks like it is starting to rot, however it isn't spongy yet. I guess my question is, is it good to use?
IMG_20200724_082807.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Wet rotted is history. Dry rot as i call it, lighter in color and usually on one side (bark). I split the dry rot off and still use the solid portion.

Reactions: Aaawew
Welcome to SMF. What are using as a smoker. If it burns wood you could use that wood to start your coal base. I too split the sponge part off when I split wood and save the solid pieces. All it does is cause ash no benefits

Reactions: Aaawew
I am using an Oklamona Joe Highland Reverse Flow. I am using it with wood only no charcoal. I'm looking up dry rot vs wet rot but from that picture does the wood look fine?

Last edited:
It doesn’t look pristine but doesn’t look terrible to me. I’d use the least favorable pieces to start the fire. The earwigs wouldn’t bother me either

It doesn’t look pristine but doesn’t look terrible to me. I’d use the least favorable pieces to start the fire. The earwigs wouldn’t bother me either
I have a lot, about 1/4 of a cord all varying degrees of the spectrum I have cut up a bit of the best looking stuff. I will probably do as you suggested and just use the favorable pieces. I have a lot of stuff that's just been dead a while but has no rot. Here is a picture of some of the best stuff I cut/split
IMG_20200724_082747.jpg
IMG_20200724_082749.jpg

791E6935-6BB4-44E0-8DF2-F1A7BB83E1A6.jpeg
The wood in this pile is all crap as far as bbq goes. Ok for Fire pit. It sat too long before being split and got dry rot. It looks solid but is mostly not solid but not mush.You can kind of see what I mean by the first few pieces.

This is the full pile of what I got, a lot is missing all the bark but for the most part it is all solid.
IMG_20200724_120731.jpg
IMG_20200724_120716.jpg

I also feel the need to point out the mess in the garage is not mine lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky