What's your occupation?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We'll Im a Master Journeyman Plumber and HVAC Installer Service Tech. But trying to change careers and move into sales of barbecue equipment and spices.

Right now I'm unemployed
icon_cry.gif
, My Christmas bonus from Johns Manville was to be among 62 employees layed off three days before Christmas. I will be starting my new job at a local Pest Control Company on Jan 2nd
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif
. Hopefully I will be doing good enough that if they call me back I won't have to go.

I am a Building Maintance Engineer. I work for the county courthouse and jail here. Been with the goverment for the last ten years. I do everything from boiler operations to mowing the yard and snow removal. Its nice having a varity at my job.

Kookie

I got laid off the last work day before Thanksgiving many years ago. From out of the blue too. My partner and I busted *** to finish our task by the end of the day so that nothing would be undone before the long weekend. When we were done we turned and asked our super what we would be doing Monday. He said, "I guess that you will be standing in the unemployment line with me" and showed us our papers.
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
I was young and enjoyed the season off, but eventualy I had to go back to work
PDT_Armataz_01_09.gif

There is plenty of work out there. It is called work for a reason. Very few people actually have the job of their dreams. Keep at it and someday you may end up with the job of your dreams and maybe someday you will look back and realize that the job you had all along is actually a pretty good job after all.

Hope your new gig works out good for you!

I'm the communications director for a healthcare union in Michigan. Hard to find times for some of the larger smokes, but I manage :)

Last title was product test engineer but looking for work as of last week. Restructured and outsourced twice now. I feel like a rented mule.

this is a great thread... kind of a get to know a little about everyone. i am a maintainance supervisor at the main terminal of a large national transportation company. we haul general freight and heavy haul freight lower 48,canada, and alaska. also have things going on in puerto rico and hawaii, right now our biggest venture is in hauling wind energy equipment mainly towers for all the major players in this growing field. some really fascinating equipment. started there as a technician 24 years ago, before that went to school for and worked as a machinist. great to be part of this forum, great people!!!

NOW tip.........this is a JOKE.........forwarning ya

but do they call that WORK release?

BWHAHAHAHAHA...........

sorry, coulldn't help it

Well, I am a firefighter.I retire the end of this year. And really looking forward to it. it is getting to hard for this ole man. I will have 34 years with the feds. 23 with the fire service, the rest was with the feds in central america.

Right now?

I feed the wife and kids, wait for a storm, and go out to plow and shovel. I do a lot of thinking, LOL

Seriously, I am into apartments and I do all trades involved except I don't cut the grass anymore. Its really not that bad, about 500 hours a year with the hands and 250 hours a year paying bills.

Back in the day, I was an electrical power system operator, sort of like the aircraft controllers as far as how the job was,fast pace, lot of information coming at you at once, lots of multi-tasking. Was a great career, but I like the slower pace now:-)

UPDATE:

i quit my job at DFW Boats due to some company politics that were against me in every way. i worked for a short time selling epoxy flooring and fence staining, and just recently (just got out of training this week) got hired on with Systems Paving. we do paving stones in residential mostly but will do commercial. this company is the largest home improvement company in the us. I'm proud to be part of a great company, it the first time in a long time.

i have not had an opportunity to post in a while.. i went back to school to get my Masters.. and have not been on puter much.. have really enjoyed reading these post..
currently i am a middle school history teacher.. but i have did a lot over the years..
.. i am a jack of all trades and a master of none..

i have a brisket on the smoke as we speak..

Mechanical Designer.....Designed Class 8 heavy duty semi trailers, light rail passenger trains (LA green line, denver, calgary, edmonton, portland, sacramento, puerto rico, saint louis metro lines), Autodesk reseller (trainer, dog and pony show, tech support), hvac designer, semiconductor industry (wet benches, robots, dryers material handlers),

Then had children so needed to move away from the bay area. Moved home to farnorcal and I work for a civil engineering firm. I design neighborhoods and commercial properties (land development).

moving dirt is not as fun as designing robots but i live in a great town near family but i still get to do side work for the companies i left in SJ.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky