what was your first car to drive

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally Posted by PGSmoker64  

First car I owned was a 67 Chevy II.  Bought it from my uncle when I was 15.  He was nice enough to sell it to someone else while I was in Europe (Army) without my knowledge...ain't that nice?

LOL

Bill 
Mine was a 1966 Chevrolet Nova, 2 door (called the Chevy II Nova back then).  Had a 194 straight 6 with a 2 speed powerglide automatic transmission.  Same color as the one in this photo.  My dad bought it new from the local Chevy dealer when they came out for $1,300 cash.  We had it until the early 1990's when my dad wanted a truck and traded it even for a Ford F100.  They guy that bought it still has it in his shop under a cover (it was 100% stock and still is).  If I ever hit the lottery I would buy it back from him just because of the memories.

First car I bought was a 1976 Chevrolet Camaro RS (no SS available that year) with a two tone paint job & a small block chevy in it.  That was one fun car!!! Had it up until the great Atlanta "snow jam" of 1984 when some idiot doing 60mph on ice wiped us out (I was stopped and the guy took out about 8 cars as he spun down the road at 60+ on ice. Nothing we could do but grit out teeth, hold on and wait for the impact - we were the 2nd car hit).

Last edited:
First thing I actually drove would be about a 57 ford pickup, lots of time on the seat of a tractor before that.

I am only going to tell you about my first car so no one else here should be embarassed or ashamed of their first car. Ready? Swallow so you don't blow it all over the screen.

I had a 1962 Rambler Ambassador stationwagon, push button drive, the front seats folded back, the back seats folded down, it was one long flat inside for the drive-inn, or where ever. It had a 327cu with a 4 bbl. carb. and could smoke the tires NEVER!. It drove and handled like a battle tank, heaviest vehicle I ever owned.You are thinking at this point well a Rambler stationwagon, bad, but why the embarassment? Mothers would not let their daughters go out with me if I drove!

The color was named  "Jasmine Rose", here let me show you:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorco...=1961&smanuf=AMC&smodel=Rambler&sname=Jasmine

It had a shaggy fake furr interior. I paid 400.00 for it, I had it a month and a guy ran a stop sign and hit me(only bent my fender a little, totally his ford). He didn't have insurance of course. My buddy's Dad was the Chief deputy sheriff here and he let the guy know he should pay me damages. The blue book was 500.00. Guy showed up and gave me 750.00. Paid off the car, decided I could fix it and paint it and put 350.00 in the bank. Junkyarded the parts, asked Pop to buy some paint to repaint the whole car when he went to town (I was afoot)! I thought No more Jasmine pink" Came time to paint it opened the can of paint, and it was Jasmine pink! Pop decided I should use it so the car wouldn't show chips! ROFLMAO I really think he was laughing. BTW I can't say on a public site what everyone called that color, but it was not not very nice, although appropreiate!. /PM me if you really wanta know.

My first real car was a 1967 Fairlane GT 500, rally yellow, 390cu, 4bbl, Cragar 5 spoke mags, hurst 5 speed, and cherry bomb glass packs and it got about 5 to 6 months to a clutch pad LOL. Got where I could install a new one in a couple a hours. BTW Ethyl gas was only .24/gal.

Mine was a 2 door hardtop, but this is close.

http://www.m3tech4toys.com/inc/sdetail/626/801

Last edited:
This was the first car I ever drove. 1966 vw beetle. I was about 14 and my brother let me drive his car. Not the actual car in the pic but it was identical shape and had a sunroof that pulled back. It was awesome....

My first car was a vw rabbit s model. They are rare and wish I still had it. It would be worth a lot of money. It kinda looked like this. I had a komei front spoiler package... added sway bars, stress, bars and a high performance cam..... lost most of my hearing due to the stereo system I had in it........... I miss my old pal....
th_crybaby2.gif

Day late and a dollar short, I just sold my Mom's old 1970 regular gas Rabbit. VW electrial is a soup sandwich. Car had a bit over 70K ran great but something in the electrical was hosed and ever the VW shop couldn't find out what it was. Guy gave 600.00 and towed it off. About last Thanksgiving.

I win the most embarrising car... A 1974 AMC gremlin with various colors of body parts.  Bought it for $400, put a battery and starter in it.  sold it to a college gal 2 years later for $400. I bought it from my boss.  The day I registered it, that night someone stole the hood and dash parts.  The cop try to tell me I was making an insurance fraud claim.  It only had liablity.   Shut him down real quick.  We found the hood 2 miles down the road, all beaten and more uglier, but still worked.

First car I drove was a 42 willys. Grandpa and I went camping took a wrong turn late one night towing it with his Fury, and got jackknifed. He explained to me how a stick shift worked and what I needed to do to help him get us out of there. We did and the next day first thing he showed me how to drive. Got to drive around the rest of the week all though the dirt roads. I was only 12. Needless to say I never found any other stick shift that was hard to drive after learning on that jeep.

First car was a 86 CRX two seats not a big engine, but it was so light. Was a really fun car.

To the OP My grandpa still has his Fury that he was driving the night we got stuck. This is the exact model, but in much better condition.

LOL! Well the one in your picture looks like it's seen its last days. Here is a more unfortunate story. A friend of mine actually traded in a 1966 Shelby GT 350 Mustang "Hertz", for a new, deluxe model Pinto Wagon. His wife informed him that she was expecting their first child, so they "UPGRADED" to a more family oriented vehicle.

The 66 Gt 350 sold new for $4500 +. 30 years later it was selling for $45,000.00 and today, probably over $100,000.00.

A mint condition Pinto Wagon....you would probably have to pay someone to take it off your hands.

First one I drove was Dad's '72 F250 Camper Special, 360 with an oil bath air cleaner + 4 on the floor.

My first car was a 1970 Ford Torino GT, 351 Cleveland. That 'ol Mule held it's own against my buddy's '73 Nova w/ a 4 barrel & headers.

~R

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky