What was your biggest BOMB?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't give up yet! A well-smoked brisket is one of my favorites!! Just follow the "brisket" thread in the beef forum and give it another try! OR.....if you're feeling brave.....give this a shot....
biggrin.gif

http://www.recipezaar.com/207187

L8r,
Eric

My biggest bomb wasn't so much the smoke not turning out, it was more of me just getting bombed.

Last Thanksgiving It was our 1st one in our new house.And I was in charge of all the food. I was deboning the turkey and rolling it back up around the dark meat. getting all of the sides ready, baking breads and pies. I was a cooking machine! but I had some beer the whole day to help with the nerves. too much, everything turned out great, but when I sat down with my plate, I got right back up went to the bathroom let it all out and passed out. I didn't even get to take one bite. everybody said the food was great and they made fun of me for passing out at thanksgiving before dinner.

A lot less beer this year for me.....WINE! will be fine

This is before i had a smoker, i had some spares on the grill, and had em on low and slow, unfortunately i had just come off a double shift and the couch got the best of me.....needless t say the spares were a little too done, could have used them for a spare tire not spare ribs
eek.gif

My 2 most recent bombs ironically include turkey.

The first was a 6.4lb bone in turkey breast. You have to understand that all my smoking/cooking revolves around planning around my kids soccer, football, baseball, etc. games and practices. So on this day I planned on this baby needing 4-5 hours smoking time and put it in the smoker accordingly knowing my daughter had a soccer game I was going to. Well as I was leaving for the soccer game the temp was already at 150 and I was going to be gone for 2 hours. I had to turn the temp down on my electric to 175 and hope for the best. When I got home temp was 168 and the turkey breast was dry but at least had a decent flavor (accoring to my loving family).

The second was going to be a 5lb boneless turkey breast that was frozen. Well, I thawed the turkey in the fridge, made up a brine, placed the brine and the breast in a ziploc bag. This is where it went wrong! I went outside to put the breast in the fridge and decided to put the brining breast in the freezer for a 1/2 hours to quick chill, grabbed a beer and went back in the house. Needless to say that when I got up the next morning to go get the breast and throw it on the smoker it was frozen as hard as a rock in the brine. It was really hard to throw it away and I was tempted to thaw it again and smoke it anyway but the food safety guy inside me said no.

I am sure there have been more but these are a few of my recent blunders!

I've had some bad blunders in the passed but this one wasn't all my fault but was very funny.

A 10 years ago I was hosting my first Thanksgiving at my new house, I had just bought my first Weber Kettle and was going to cook a turkey on it. I had done one a few weeks before as a test run and it came out great!! I got the coals going well and set up a indirect heating method with the drip pan in the center. My GF at the time had helped me with the last turkey I had done and was counting on her to add charcoal every 45 minutes or so while I went to pick up my uncle.

I placed the turkey on the grill, made sure my GF knew to add 10 brickets to each side of the grill every 45 minutes or so, and I would be back in a few hours. I return with my uncle to a house full of people, everyone brought a dish to pass and was looking forward to my turkey.

I asked my GF how the turkey was going and she looked at me a little puzzled, she said. "I've been adding the charcoal to both sides but I don't think it's working". So I walk out to the grill and the therm is barely over 100° and the turkey has been on the grill for almost 3 hours!! I lift the lid to see 2 piles of unlit charcoal on top of the grill grate right next to the turkey.
eek.gif
I laughed so hard, I had never seen anything quite like that, instead of lifting up the hinged side grill plates, she piled the charcoal on top of the grill every 45 minutes, just like I asked her to, of course my GF was really embarresed.

We ended up having hamburgers and hotdogs with all these really nice side dishes. It turned out to be the most memoriable and fun Thanksgiving our family has had, we still talk about it every year.
biggrin.gif

My parents came down to visit me at my first house and i figured i would roll up some fatties and a picnic shoulder cut. I have been using a little chief my gramps let me borrow. He modified it with cardboard and foam wrapping to keep temps up.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I modified it with a bigger element sitting on top of the other. Well the rack didnt fit right so i pushed it down, seemed good. Threw fatties on and came out 20 minutes later to check them. 3 foot flames
icon_redface.gif
sprayed down with hose. Burner got turned sideways and caught the whole thing on fire in my driveway.
icon_sad.gif
All is well now as i conned my dad into getting me a housewarming gift.....A NEW smoker!!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Got a Smoke Hollow and did my picnic last night. I got to send them home with their first fatties
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky