What type smoker do I buy, just starting out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hausfire

Original poster
May 31, 2008
New Jersey
I know this is a never ending question but I am just starting out and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into some good old smoked meat. I was just wondering if I can get a little feedback on what type to buy Gas, Elec. Char or wood.
I dont want to spend alot. but I want my stuff tasting good.Thanks all
Eric

Different smokes fer different folks... Do you want to tend it all the time or sit and let it go??? That will make the decissoin as to what kind you will buy. I have a GOSM propane and it is great " set it and forget it" LOL... It is a good smoker and it dont break you up buying it...

Congrats on the decision
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Nice, welcome aboard, I've been a lurker for the most part, but finally caught a hook in the lip and bought a gas smoker the other day.

Hope all works well for you keep us posted.

You will love it, I have mine for 2 weeks, it's great.

the WSM is a great starting smoker.

Or an ECB like I had, cuz you fark up so much stuff before you get it right ;)

did you get the 40 inch??? i have one i bought for lazy day smokes or for when i cannot watch smoker on regular basis. still havent used it as i also have a gosm. so i am looking forward to any reports you have on it and especially qview!!!

I know this has been answered again and again, but I'm new to smoking and would like to offer a newbie's view:

I started on a little $30 grill by indirect cooking and bought myself a WSM for Christmas last year. I love it! I did a ton of research before I bought that particular model (see http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/).

Here's what I found from my few months of using the WSM:

1) Natural fuel (wood, coal, etc) gives meat a more natural taste.

2) I get much fewer flare ups when grilling over natural fuel than I do with gas.

3) By using natural fuel, I don't need to haul propane around, I just grab wood from the camp-fire pile.

4) I feel like my food has more character, and fuller flavor, when grilled or smoked over natural fuel.

5) The WSM can be used as a grill or a smoker. It's constructed very well, it's fairly cheap, and it's easy to throw in the trunk of any mid-sized car.

6) Wood smoking may take more skill to get a great product, but practicing that is a great way to spend some time. (Same goes for home-brewing)

7) Wood smoke smells like heaven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky