What to do with ashes ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barneypoo69

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Kyle, Republic of Texas
Sorry, but I tried to do a search about ash.
My question, it would seem fine to spread the ash from a side-fire box over the lawn. There isn't anything in it but just burned charcoal & wood.
Wouldn't this be good for our yard ?
Just wondering.

That's what I do with my small amounts.

If I am doing a lot of smokes I keep them in a can and haul them out back.
Not sure how much ash is too much ash.

I Love this in your sig

We Aggies love to have Bevo on the pit.......
biggrin.gif

j/k.......not really.......j/k

Now I have heard and heard only that it is good for your compost bin or pile. Now some fruit trees I believe that folks add some ash to but I really not sure.

I hope that when I am Q'ed at the end, my ashes will be spread on the Sacramento River. Whoops, do you mean from cooking? I use some for my compost barrel and the rest I recycle in my green waste.

Wood ash can be placed in the garden, lawn, etc. but it does act as a liming agent so plants that like an acidic environment would not appreciate the ash (azaleas, blueberries, etc.) Never leave it clumped up around plants or on the lawn because it will burn it.

I save it in a 55 gal drum cut in half, then I have my son "dig for treasure" when the excavation gets to be too big I dump the ashes in there and have him start in a new area. Works pretty good and keeps him busy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky