What the best over the counter BBQ sauce you ever ate ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
To date I'd have to say that I really like the Hot Bone Suckin Sauce that a few others also picked. My wife picked it up for me and I was pleasantly surprised she even knew about it. If I am in a pinch and have to go with whats at the local Publix then I go with Sweet Baby Ray's and doctor it up a little.

Never tried Bone Suckin' Sauce, so I gotta say Sweet Baby Rays, however I like just about every BBQ sauce I ever had, unless they're either too hot or too mild! When it comes to great Q, I'm not hard to please!

Bear

There was a guy who started a Q restaurant here in Omak and his sauce on pork was outstanding. He was only open 2 years and I kept after him for his sauce recipe. I think he told me 5 different recipes until his final week of business he said "Cattlemans with a dash of real maple syrup". I think that was close. But alas, all Quers are liars when it comes to their sauce recipes. I think it is lost to me forever. 

There was a guy who started a Q restaurant here in Omak and his sauce on pork was outstanding. He was only open 2 years and I kept after him for his sauce recipe. I think he told me 5 different recipes until his final week of business he said "Cattlemans with a dash of real maple syrup". I think that was close. But alas, all Quers are liars when it comes to their sauce recipes. I think it is lost to me forever. 
LOL---same thing with steak sauce! There was a restaurant in Honolulu ("The Rigger", I think) in the late 60s, that made a Teriyaki steak sauce that was to die for. I told the owner I wanted it only for personal use, and was never going to start my own business with it. I tried to bribe a waitress, but she was married! I have tried about every bottle I could find, and every recipe I can find, and nothing even comes close !!! It was very thick, and I can't even describe the awesome flavor!

Bear

LOL---same thing with steak sauce! There was a restaurant in Honolulu ("The Rigger", I think) in the late 60s, that made a Teriyaki steak sauce that was to die for. I told the owner I wanted it only for personal use, and was never going to start my own business with it. I tried to bribe a waitress, but she was married! I have tried about every bottle I could find, and every recipe I can find, and nothing even comes close !!! It was very thick, and I can't even describe the awesome flavor!

Bear
[font=verdana, sans-serif][font=verdana, sans-serif]I think it was located in the Outrigger Hotel in Waikiki [/font][/font]not sure, I'll have to look at my pics from my Honeymoon '91

c7f5f399_1350x4ae48f64.jpg

b30e3bd7_1350x4ae48f84.jpg

Stubbs has a low sugar content that appeals to a lot of people. I especially do not like thick sugary sauce.

I haven't been smoking for too long, but I have been eating 'cue for a long time.  I've always really enjoyed Famous Dave's sauces, don't care for the restaurant, but I dig the sauce.

In my home when I smoke or BBQ all comers are welcome to share the bounty, with one rule: where ever they go on vacation they will bring back at least on bottle of what they determine to be the best sauce of the area. To date I have two 8 foot long shelves of BBQ sauces from all over the world. My favorite sauce is ( I like sweet) is RASTA JOE'S SWEET.  Flat out the best.

What could be better than brown sugar, molasses, rum, and PORK.

Last edited:
A while back, my brother who lives in Chicago, sent me a bottle of sauce from a little mom & pop Q joint in Evanston, IL. I wasn't expecting much from it but wow, how wrong I was!! This was a very good sauce. Not too sweet, a little heat and good consistancy. Worked really well on beef and pork to take the flavor to the next level. Good sauce from this little place. Who woulda thunk it? Here's a link to their site. $10.50 for two 18oz. bottles (not including shipping). Haven't tried their seasoning but might order some soon.

http://heckys.com/

I just moved to Columbia, Missouri about 3 months ago.  I found the Blues Hog "Memphis Style" sauce and it is EXTREMELY identical to my own sauce that I make myself.  So, I'm gonna have to go with that one.  I am also a huge fan of Corky's and Head Country.

SBRs all are good. The Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Chipotle is my new fav. Cattleman's Carolina Tangy Gold is awesome on pulled pork Sammie's. Use on chicken wings and one time put on pulled pork and was a instant hit with the whole crowd.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I'm new to the forum.  I agree with you Head Country Original is one of my favorites. My second choice is Stubb's Original.  I use Head Country on my ribs and Stubb's in my BBQ Beans.  I alternate putting them on pulled pork and brisket.

Wow!  There must be more than one SBR sauce. I've read so much about it I tried a bottle. Nasty stuff. Super sweet for my taste buds.  

I have 2 or 3 recipes I've found in the net that I make frequently, and will try anything that looks interesting at least once.

I'm partial to Head Country, as are many others, but my favorite is one I grabbed for $1 a bottle at a local drugstore's end of summer clearance. Something called Sa-Mokin. I've used it on just about everything. It's perfect for the top of meatloaf, awesome on ribs & pulled pork. I've even diluted it with a little beer and misted some 'shrooms I was smoking. Unbelievable addition to the flavor. 

There's also a sauce out of Galva KS called Iron Horse Farm. A little on the sweet side, but great flavor! 

If I had to use commercial with now tweaks.... Sweet Baby Ray's Original - but I prefer to it and tweak it a bit with some vinegar, mollases, and apple juice.

I would have to say either Sticky Fingers or Sweet Baby Ray's. However, there are some on here that I haven't tried and look interesting - I might have to try some. I am hooked on homemade though. I bought Jeff's recipe on the forum and have tweaked a little for taste, and the family loves it.:drool

In Virginia we have a very popular sauce made by the Sauer's company - it's a thin sauce with some really great spice and flavor.  Not a sweet sauce but I like it.  

Sauer's is a spice company well known in this area.

They have a spicy version now that I have not tried but I plan to!

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky