What is your smoking project for 2010?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My projects for the year;
smoke things "outside of the box" - more vege's, salts, different appetizers, mac and cheese, etc. I have been re-inspired here on the SMF!.
I have been making sausage and bacon for a while, but I am really interested in doing dry cured sausages...I am a little "skeered" of it!
My biggest project is to get the cinder block with steel insert rotisserie smoker off the paper and actually get it built - it WILL get done!

120gal reverse flow build
250gal reverse flow build
compete in atleast 4 kcbs comps
start own catering buisness.

Oh & whatever else i find on here i want to try also
icon_mrgreen.gif

For me 2009 SUCKED!! Most of you know why. This year a friend of mine and I are going to try our hand in some competions. I'm finally going to get the pit sandblasted and powder coated and I think build a UDS in the garage.

I'm going to convert a Brinkman Gas grille KING into a fire box smoker and redo my cuzin's comp smoker . I am going to be certified KCBS for judging and knowing the rules ( all of them) so when I hit the road I will kick Paul's rear end ( j/k ) .

I know I'm goin to build a couple of reverse flow smokers. The last smoker I built with side pit sold real quick for 650 or 700, I don't remember. I'm still not sure when I'm goin to get called back to work so I might as well start building them and sell em.

As for smokin, I'm just not sure. I've really been enjoying the ribs, fattys, chops, stuffed loins, smoked pizzas, pig candy, smoked 3-tier meatloafs etc etc etc. What else is there?
--ray--

1. I'm gonna complete my 28th, 29th. & 30th KCBS contest as judge (& cook w/a team & take the test) and get master certified by MAY.

2. I'm gonna cater my daughters wedding reception w/ the help of my buddy.

3. I wanna build a rotiserie smoker using BRICK to match my house, and

4. I'm gonna compete in a couple of KCBS contests this year with the goal of getting no less than a '7' (above average) on all score cards!!!!

Waiting for my Lang 60 Delux to get here, I'm hoping it will be here within the next few days. I'm going to smoke alot of the deer meat i have in the freezer from this years kill, and try to do my first fattie, still have yet to do that, and also going to try and start smoking Lamb also, My buddy has a bunch of it and has given it to me to try, and still trying to find some more pecan wood, getting low.

Hmmm...

Fatties
do a brisket worth eating (by humans)
start and hopefully complete a Fridge-2-Smoker project
not have to smoke on the front porch (build a deck)
learn, learn, learn, learn, learn about smoking
become a member of the royal court
turn on atleast 10 people to smoking

I want to try to do something new every month. I've learned so much in the last few weeks, but I gotta slow down the freezer is full!

I want to smoke:
Full brisket
Sushi
Sides
Goose
Turkey
Anything I get hunting.

wink.gif
For me I have done everything I wanted, from brisket to chuck roasts to cured meats, pastramie, buckboard, and cappicolla, salmon. Even cheetos and popcorn.
icon_mrgreen.gif

I guess I don't really have anything new I want to tackle in the future.

Good thread.

Oh, shucks Ron, I figured there would be something else coming out of your MES that none of us have thought of before...you always keep us wondering what's next...heh-heh!

I recall a member's reply to one of your qview threads quite awhile back regarding your neighbor's pets possibly not being safe when your home???...........'cause Ron smokes everything..............LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good times we have here..........

Eric

This is my first smoking project of the year.

I've been tossing around the idea of making a Pastrami and just started the surprisingly "fun" process today.

I've been smoking for the last 4 years or so(chicken, turkey, pork butt, ribs, etc.) but haven't been excited to smoke in a year or more.

This may not be the correct place to ask this and if so please direct me to the proper place, but does anyone know a recipe for a really good "traditional" pastrami rub????
icon_question.gif
Today I trimmed the fat from the flat and got her in the brine, which smelled just amazing by the way and I've found some "ok" looking rubs but none seemed right.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

My planned rub will be: crushed black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed coriander, carraway seeds(I'm not married to this), and a little kosher salt. Is this the right path?

Thanks in advance and let me know if I should start a new thread with this question else where.

I just made my first pastrami a couple weeks ago. I put a rub on it that was black pepper, paprika, crushed red pepper and garlic. However most of the flavor came from the fact that it was corned beef and on mine I don't think the rub made much of a difference over the flavors from it being corned. Don't trust me though, I've only done one, wait for the experts :)

Thanks for the quick reply...
points.gif
I figured the brine would make the biggest difference but most of the NY style seem to have a nice bark that I thought was the rub but maybe it was just that delicious smoke bark lol... Thanks again bud.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky