What is Preferred?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flexster

Original poster
Nov 26, 2020
What is your preference? Thermoworks Signal or Smoke X? I need a new BBQ alarm and am interested in these two. ThermoWorks build good products, and I would like to hear what y'all say about the Signal and Smoke X. Thank you!

My preference would be the Smoke-X.
I have two of the 2-Channel original Smoke's.
Trust the units with an actual remote, rather than the ones that use an app.
I use my Smoke's for overnight cooks rather the app on phone for the Fireboard controller in my LSG.

I think it depends on whether you want to be tied to using your phone or tablet to remotely monitor your cook. I have the Signals and haven't used a Smoke, but having set the alarms (and target pit temp when using the Bellows fan) using the buttons on the base unit of the signals, I think it's easier to set and configure things using the app on my phone instead of directly on the base unit.

There are some nice features you get with the Signals that are really in the app instead of the thermometer itself. A biggie for me is the temperature graphing - it's great for checking the temperature swing in ovens and other cookers that have some sort of temperature controller. It's also good for seeing how long your cooker or holding container was in the danger zone.

I had a remote unit (not a Thermoworks) a number of years ago. Don't remember what went bad, before I chucked that unit. Loved the remote, but I couldn't wander far.
After many low quality units I stepped up for a Thermoworks Signals. I wanted the integrated wi-fi and bluetooth in the Signals. The connection part has been flawless and it does mean using the phone app.
As J JeffShoaf pointed out the graphing is great to see trends before the high or low temp alarms send alerts to your phone. The other plus is you can save data in the cloud.

Reactions: chopsaw
I stay clear from phone apps whenever possible. I have a pair of Thermopro TP 829. It has four probes, a unit that connects to them with readouts and a remote unit to place wherever you are that also has all the readouts with hi low alarms.

thermopro.jpg

I do have one with phone app. That way if I'm gone for awhile during a smoke I can check the RT and also verify with digital therm. I have made adjustments while out finishing a round of golf.

I stay clear from phone apps whenever possible. I have a pair of Thermopro TP 829. It has four probes, a unit that connects to them with readouts and a remote unit to place wherever you are that also has all the readouts with hi low alarms.

I have a Thermopro 4-channel and it hasn't failed me yet. I'm a big fan of the overall value I get from it.

Mine is the corded probe, rechargeable 4-channel with base. Then connect via Bluetooth to my phone.

If you have alarms set up, just need make sure you don't close the app and let it run in the background. But even if you disconnect, it reconnects effortlessly.

I'm considering getting their upgraded unit with wireless probes to base and try them out. The cords are fine, but would make cleanup and storage much easier.

The app works relatively well. And for my uses, I like it a lot. Coupled with my PID readout, I can monitor extremely close.

Current Pic of jerky run. First probe is actually threaded through hanging strips of jerky. I ramp up until internal temp hits 160 to hit USDA recommendations, then drop temp immediately to roughly 130 and let it eat.

Screenshot_20240424_093810_ThermoPro BBQ.jpg

Been using the Signals for a couple of years. This thing is rock solid with the Wifi. Alarm on phone app works! Highly recommend it.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have the Smoke X4. Bought it because I didn't want to rely on WiFi even though the WiFi options have some nice features.

I tested it at deer camp and it worked over most of the 100 acre property. I lost signal in 1 little gully down by the creek.

It's nice to be able to hunt a blind and still monitor temps! But, my choice was made by my needs and usage. You gotta figure out what's best for your scenario.

I have the non-wifi Inkbird 4 probe outfit for a few years and it's worked perfectly. it is as good or better than the old Maverick therms that used to be the go to on SMF.

I have the Smoke, I chose it for 2 reasons:
Brick walls - not good wifi signal
I can work on my property and the RF signal reaches way out

Reactions: radioguy
I've been using a Smoke for 5-6 years now. It's been thru hell and still works great. The remote has great range. I have 3+ acre property.

RG

My preference would be the Smoke-X.
I have two of the 2-Channel original Smoke's.
Trust the units with an actual remote, rather than the ones that use an app.
I use my Smoke's for overnight cooks rather the app on phone for the Fireboard controller in my LSG.
That's great to hear as FireBoard only has one person in tech support and it's not good for their customers. That's why I switching to one to ThermoWork's products. Appreciate the reply.

That's great to hear as FireBoard only has one person in tech support and it's not good for their customers. That's why I switching to one to ThermoWork's products. Appreciate the reply.
Had to replace a controller that croaked in the middle of a cook.
Wendy's been pretty good to work with.
Got me another unit sent right away.

Had to replace a controller that croaked in the middle of a cook.
Wendy's been pretty good to work with.
Got me another unit sent right away.
She's the only one there. I had to send my Spark back and it took two weeks and numerous phone and emails to get it back. Guess what! It still doesn't work, and she was suppose to call me at a certain time last week and I haven't heard a word from her. I hate to eat the Spark but I have not other choice. My FireBoard 2 works but can't find to apt. Fortunately the cooking data still comes to my laptop. I'm going to bite the bullet and go the ThermoPro. I think when you have complex electronics, and questions arise one needs quick tech support. I have RecTeq pellet grill and had a question this week and called their support group and my question was answered in seconds.....quick and easy. RecTeq goes out of their way to please the customer, and I think that's so important for a company to do. A satisfied customer can sell a lot of product for a company.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky