What is going on with SMF lately?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
IMHO this site has been much different than others i belong to, very little if any flaming, folks who are open minded to others cooking methods, a free exchange of ideas, supportive, and respectfull. Within the last few weeks I have seen a change.

2 blatant examples I never thought I would see here: Folks calling people who prefer fall off the bone ribs duffers( i like my ribs with tug, but respect other folks), and other insults. Folks getting bent out of shape over folks giving advise on a piece of equiptment(WSM) they have used but dont own, and discounting their opinion, and insulting where they live, their experience, their friends, and their sources etc.

All of the above is pretty unacceptable, and not what has made this site great imho.

I haven't seen this and I'm sure the other mods and admins haven't either I don't know that we can read every thread anymore seems theres just to many. With that being said if you send us a PM I'm sure if those things are going on they will be handled I know I'm usually on several times a day just just send me a PM with a link to the thread or name of the thread

Piney, you and the other mods do a great job, and cant police everything, and I respect what you folks do here.

Ill jut keep my mouth shut.

Actually if that is going on I'd like to know about it Jeff wants the site to be a friendly place thats helpful to people and thats how it should be. There are different opinions on a lot of things but there is no excuse for people being rude or insulting

That is one thing that sets smf apart from other places. You don't see flaming going on and no group of people are better then another. I haven't seen this go on here but I'm sure the mods will put a quick kibosh on it.

I guess I'm Slow ... what is flaming?
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Been gone for a few weeks (sick) so I haven't seen the problems. If there is a problem then one of the regular members need to PM a mod. I wouldn't want this to get out of hand. Just my opinion.

If anyone see this happening please let us know. I know that things are getting tough for alot of folks with work or not having work so sometimes tempers flare. This being said we try to handle this in private so that its not on the forum.

Lets all try and keep this forum as great as it has been. If there is a issue pm that person. If you cant pm them then let someone on the mod staff know so we can investigate and handle.

Brian is right in saying that we try to handle certain things on the private/pm level. If you bring something to our attention, it's usually because you care to keep things right. Smoke on.

must have missed it........of all the sites i visit this has been the most friendly, respectful, helpful, and welcoming............thx!

That is why this is such a great site - charcoal/gas/stick/wsm/bge/gosm/etc. doesn't matter - no matter what equipment you use or your methods everyone is very supportive - there are other sites that discriminate if you are not cooking/smoking a certain way.

I'm familiar with one of the incidents. The member that was involved has thousands of posts and is normally VERY helpful. We all have bad days. The problem was reported and nipped. In fact anyone reading that thread today should have no reference that the comments even took place because it was handled quickly by a moderator.

As for the other problems, haven't seen any or those threads in particular. These boards are very tame with little to no flames and no trolls.

One of the inevitable things about forums is eventually a younger crowd comes in and they do not have the tact that many of the more seasoned users use when posting messages.

I am a young-ish person myself ( 30, ok so not really too young ) and quite often I find that I may say something in a way that could be taken as being snappy or brash.

I do not condone it, and one of the real reasons I finally decided to sign up and be an active member of the community is because this site is very down to earth and I have not seen much bashing or flaming going on ( unless it was seemingly in jest ).

Anyway, I started rambling for no reason.

But flaming should be a 0 tolerance policy. Once you let one person get away with it, then it will just amplify in a snow ball style.

Does clicking the "Report Post" icon give ample notice to the mods or should a mod still be PM'd instead?

Quick Edit: I agree everyone has bad days and mis-wordings, I have said stuff at work that if I would have said it more frequently I'd be gone. That is 100% understandable.

Just want to chime in and say that I absolutely love this site, I wouldn't have been able to smoke even half of the things I have it it wasn't for the help of so many great smokers out there. Other sites have so much flaming going on I hate to even visit them and always come back home to the SMF knowing that 99.9% of the folks on here are great people and want nothing more than to smoke, help others smoke and drool over some good Qview.

Here at the SMF I think the only flaming that should be going on is when you are starting up the coals in your chimney.

I too want to thank all those what partake on this board. I have never been to another smoking site. I guess I am lucky I found this one first. I love how everyone is so quick to help. I do remember seeing the one post and felt it was out of character of this board. I have been to other type of boards and without a doubt this one is the most user friendly. I am proud and happy to be a part of the family here. I guess in the end it is the thin blue that binds us together. That is one thing I believe that we can all agree on it.

The report a post button does help. If I'm working on my computer and not signed into the forum, the report a post button will send an e-mail to me to check the post.

Feel free to send me a PM too! We try to keep this a friendly forum.

I like to see what others are coming up with and I leave my smoke pics in return. We all do things differently, that's what keeps smoking so interesting (plus it tastes so good).

Whoda thunk smoking food could be so controversial.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky