What a way to end a vacation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingohiobutcher

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 21, 2009
The North Coast of Ohio
Well my vacation is almost over and I was lucky enough to see in the paper there was an estate auction down the road from my house. Since I work most every saturday I dont get to go to many auctions. I made some nice finds and one really great deal!!!
$5 for a military Ammo Box to put my smoking supplies in out by my smokin hut...it seals weather tight.

Now here is where I need some help ...I bought this torch set for $30. I am not sure if this a propane/oxygen set or an oxy/acetylene set??? Can any one tell me. I could not find any markings other than fuel and oxygen on the torch head fittings.

It looks identical to the propane set my Dad had years ago.

Now on to the awesome deal!!!!!

A lazy suzan...????? I wonder A lazy suzan smoker????

And I got this baby for an amazing cost of $5!!! And she still works!!!Not that it matters
biggrin.gif
. Mrs SOB thinks I've really gone off the deep end. But she couldn't hardly argue with $5. She really loves a deal!
With this stuff and my hobart welder getting delivered next week I cant hardly stand all this excitment!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

SOB

Well it looks like you have a new beer refrig if nothing else. Now for the torches I can't help you with that one but the box should work just fine for all your cooking tools. Do you think there are enough hooks on that box to keep it shut or what. Now for the refrig there sure seems to be alot of plastic in it if you were thinking of making a smoker out of it thou. But it like you did good at that garage sale for sure you SOB.

Acetylene is typically red hose, and propane was orange when I was in school. not sure if that still applies??? Great finds..

It could be a propane torch conversion an somebody didn't change out the hose, real common round here. Mines stil Oxy/Act so I can't say fer sure. I'd take it ta the weldin shop an ask them. They will stear ya down the right path. There good folk ta know anywho.

Nice find on the storage box and also on the frig.

For the gauges and torch I would vote that is is acetylene and not propane due to the high end of 15 on the gauge. Acetylene turns pretty damgerous above 15 psi. Also the propane tips that I have looked at have a 22 piece tip. Mine had a blow hole in the middle and slits not holes around the edges for the preheat. I will try to take a pic of the one I have so you can compare it to yours.

It looks like an oxy/acetylene set to me.
If it was me, I would have both of those regulators inspected by a shop certified to do so, before I hooked them up to the oxy/acetylene tanks. The company of your choice that sells welding gases should be able to do that for you.
A full oxygen tank is at a pressure of 2000 psi, and that is the pressure that the oxy regulator sees when you open the vavle on the tank. There should NEVER be any oil on or in the regulators as it could cause one H*ll of an explosion when you open the valve on the tank.
Be sure and ask the shop how much they charge to inspect the regulators as it could be some what expensive. If you are going to rent or buy your tanks from the them the inspection might be cheaper.

A couple more Does and Don'ts.

Make sure that both of the regulator's pressure adjusting screws are turned all the way counter clock wise so they are not touching the diaphram inside the regulator before you open the valve on the tank.

Don't stand in front of the oxygen regulator when opening the valve on the oxygen tank. Stand off to the side of it. It is rare, but oxygen regulators have come apart violenty when that 2000 psi hits them.

After SLOWLY opening the oxygen tank valve, continue opening the valve all the way to where you feel it stop, then give it a good stout turn against the stop. This seals the top of the valve so the oxygen does not leak past the valve stem.

The valve on the acetylene tank should only be opened 1/4 of a turn, so in case of a fire you can shut the valve quickly.

I have a Vickers tourch set and I run my acetylene regulator at around 7 psi and my oxygen regulator around 15 psi depending on what type of tourch I am using. The torch you bought may require less pressure than that. There again, the people at the welding gas store should be able to help you with that.

I hope thia helps,

Russ

Nice finds, the torch is an acetylene propane uses a different regulator and tip on the torch.

As Russ recommended have them checked out before use, especially if you have an idea that they have been sitting around for a while. The diagrams dry out and become unsafe.

I can hardly wait to see the refrigerator build

Nice score

I go to every estate auction i can find.
Have gotten some great deals and some steals.
If you have auctioneers iin your area give em a call and ask them to put you on their list to email on upcoming auctions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky