Favorite Way to cook a good steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danblacksher

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 15, 2022
Brandon, Mississippi
I have god a pretty solid offset smoking game, Frying game, sausage making game, hot dog making game, pizza making game, bread making game ect... I can do some good stuff, but I have not been able to take my steaks to the next level. I have tried sous vid, and it was ok not great, and I have a flame thrower to put the crust on. I would like to get a santa maria style grill. I have seen alot of steaks cooked on a kettle style grill. What instruments, and process do you think produces the best steak. Ribeye being my favorite cut. They are good but missing the wow factor.

Reactions: JLeonard
Two different flavor profiles, but here are a couple I use...
Pan seared with bacon grease in a hot cast iron skillet to about 125℉, then seasoned with whatever seasoning I'm using while it's resting.

Season first and let it rest. Smoke with maple to about 115℉, then sear directly over the hot coals to maybe 125℉ and let rest.

in a hot cast iron skillet
Agree with Charles . If you haven't tried the cast iron skillet , you should . I sear in a hot cast iron , then into the oven to finish . Garlic rosemary and thyme in the pan .
20211212_175623.jpg

Burn some red oak down to coals , and cook the steaks as close to the heat as possible .
The flavor of using all wood really adds to it .
If it's just me , I'll use my Charcoal chimney and a piece of security mesh .
20190216_173005.jpg

I have god a pretty solid offset smoking game, Frying game, sausage making game, hot dog making game, pizza making game, bread making game ect... I can do some good stuff, but I have not been able to take my steaks to the next level. I have tried sous vid, and it was ok not great, and I have a flame thrower to put the crust on. I would like to get a santa maria style grill. I have seen alot of steaks cooked on a kettle style grill. What instruments, and process do you think produces the best steak. Ribeye being my favorite cut. They are good but missing the wow factor.
What they said .. except I'm lazy. Thick ribeye's, I'll SPG them and hour ahead, then stick them in the MES30 @225 with a 1/2 tube of smoking hickory pellets. I cook them to about 115. Meanwhile I get out my big 'ol lodge cast iron skillet and put it on the infrared side burner of the Napoleon. once it's 10 degrees above hell, a spoon full of bacon grease and a sprig of rosemary. Sear intensely about a minute or so on each side. check temp for 135. if not quite there, a couple of minutes back in the MES30 to 135. rarely need the last step. but some are bitchy about medium rare. Optional: pat of butter while resting. Resting is real important.

Guess my first question is what for you defines the 'wow' factor? I always have the butcher cut my ribeyes a minimum of 1.5", sometimes I ask for 2". Thin doesn't cut it for me, too little time over the heat to get to med-rare. I season and then let them sit on the counter for a minimum of 45 minutes prior to going on the grill. Flavor profiles are highly personal so what spices etc can vary greatly. For me, it's usually kosher salt, cracked black pepper and garlic powder. Grates get lightly rubbed down with a paper towel dipped in olive oil right before the steaks go on the grill. I lightly brush them with kraft italian dressing as they are turned. When done they are pulled and left to rest a minimum of 8 minutes.

I've done reverse sear on the kettle, the pan sear with the oven finish , sous vide with the torch sear, in my pellet smoker for a while at 180 then sear it, and the lazy "throw it on the gasser cause I'm hungry" method . I can't say any are my favorite, I guess it's a mood thing.

I've done most of the methods mentioned above. I mostly use thick NY Strips. And I agree, thin steaks not worth the time or effort. I like the Cast Iron method Rich chopsaw chopsaw mentions for a unique flavor. I don't do the reverse sear that much, I feel it doesn't get enough smoke flavor in the smoker for the short time. Lately I've been doing over wood and charcoal on my Chargriller charcoal grill, that's becoming my favorite. Either way I cook it, I am always using Robert's tx smoker tx smoker Beef Rub he sent out a couple years ago. It's become my go to for everything Beef. Like mentioned above, it's really your personal taste and what you're looking for.

Dales Steak seasoning plus a bit of fresh ground pepper then a grill "hotter than all hell fire and damnation". Oki Joe's Rider DLX 1200 is one of the best searing pellet grills on the market.
Warning, do not apply more than a few minutes before grilling. This is powerful stuff.
There use to be a famous steak restaurant in Homewood AL called Dale's This originated from that restaurant.

Guess my first question is what for you defines the 'wow' factor? I always have the butcher cut my ribeyes a minimum of 1.5", sometimes I ask for 2". Thin doesn't cut it for me, too little time over the heat to get to med-rare. I season and then let them sit on the counter for a minimum of 45 minutes prior to going on the grill. Flavor profiles are highly personal so what spices etc can vary greatly. For me, it's usually kosher salt, cracked black pepper and garlic powder. Grates get lightly rubbed down with a paper towel dipped in olive oil right before the steaks go on the grill. I lightly brush them with kraft italian dressing as they are turned. When done they are pulled and left to rest a minimum of 8 minutes.
I just mean they are good but not great. I think the missing issue may be I am not getting a very good sear. I might get a weber kettle or something similar, and use it with a cast iron skillet.

I usually marinade my steaks in a mixture of Madeira wine, low salt soy sauce, water and a bit of garlic for 3 hours. Then I let them air for an hour.

I grill them close to the coals at high heat for 90 seconds a side. That puts a nice sear on them. I move them to a higher shelf with a half moon clay on the lower rack below them. 4 minutes will give you a rare/med rare depending the the thickness. I take the marinade and throw some mushroom caps or other veggies in and let them marinate while the steaks are airing. I use ziplock bags with all the air out of them to marinate both steak and shrooms. The trick is airing them and letting the meat come up to room temp. I use a Kamado.

Attachments

• filet marinated soy Maderia  Garlic with Sirachi potatos & charred green beans.jpg
    filet marinated soy Maderia Garlic with Sirachi potatos & charred green beans.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 16
  • marinated filet.jpg
    marinated filet.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 14
Funny this should come up. I was going to post a steak cook from a few days ago, but a lack of ambition set in on me. I always reverse sear, but I switch back and for between smoking on the pellet pooper to temp then into ripping hot CI on the gasser, or Sous Vide then into the CI on the gasser. Each way brings some different pros to the cook. The Sous Vide you need a good thick cut, I always ask the butcher for a 2" cut. Obviously no smoky flavor from the SV, but the edge to edge perfection is hard to beat. I just Salt & Fresh Pepper and sometimes a sprig of rosemary or a touch of garlic powder before vac sealing. What changed the other day is I finally tried searing the steak over the charcoal chimney... and man did it come out great. Check this out. Strip into the SV at 129 for about 2 1/2 hours and then onto the grill grate over some cowboy briquettes and a chunk of cherry. I love steak and eggs for supper.

20231018_194526.jpg
20231018_195200.jpg
20231018_195236.jpg
20231018_195949.jpg

For most grocery store steaks. I go sear first, and then indirect till I reach temp. For beefier steaks like what your talking about. I'll go the reverse sear route. For seasoning it all depends on what I feel like that day. Usually it's just a simple SnP, but occasionally I'll go with SPOG or Montreal steak. I always use the kettle/Votex combo. For larger steaks the Vortex goes wide end up, and for smaller steaks. It's narrow end up.

Process for a larger steak:
1697906542088.png

1697906585697.png

1697906637747.png

Chris

I dry brine with just salt for 6 to 8 hours, then sear and grill over oak. Add a little pat of butter while it rests and then coarse ground pepper just before serving. I keep planning on making and using a compound butter but never get around to it.

I've done this on the kettle and the big Santa Maria/Argentinian grill but prefer the big grill - - the kettle doesn't like an all wood fire, too difficult to avoid dirty smoke with lid on, too difficult to control the indirect heat without the lid. I have a griddle for the big grill and have seared on it but II don't think it makes that much difference so I usually just sear and grill on the v-grates unless I'm planning on using the griddle for something else during the same cook. I also dry age my own meat and slice to 1-1/2" - 2". In the attached pics, I grilled a couple of pork chops with the ribeye and did the veggies in foil down amongst the embers.

Attachments

• PXL_20230822_201410358.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230822_201410358.MP.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230822_201413079.jpg
    PXL_20230822_201413079.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230822_202226642.jpg
    PXL_20230822_202226642.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20230822_203321597.jpg
    PXL_20230822_203321597.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20230822_203409040.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230822_203409040.MP.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 15
It's pretty much all about the heat.

You get a grill/pan/cooking surface like 600-650F or hotter and you can get the sear you want.

Next, a steak that is both good enough quality and thick enough for you to get the kind of doneness you want (rare, med rare, etc.). Thin steaks cook through too much too fast.

Finally, seasoning. This is probably the simplest. If getting the cooking surface very very hot, then rubbing the steak with some oil (pretty much any sensible cooking oil works, where something like coconut oil makes no sense) so the sear doesn't turn into burning of the steak.
I prefer Salt, Pepper, Onion, Garlic (SPOG) plus a little Cayenne pepper for flavor NOT for heat.
If you only use a little cayenne you get amazing flavor while not really adding heat. I highly suggest trying a pinch on each side and adding more as you cook more steaks to find your preferred level.

My propane grill will get to 750 before the thermometer maxes out.
I like to get it to 650F or so then throw a steak on.
Steak is minimally 1 inch thick (1.25 inch is better, love 1.5 inch or a little more).
3 min on each side on the hot grill will give me a medium rare steak with a great sear.

Dance around these numbers, and I think and you should start to get very close to what you are looking for. At that point you just dial in on cooking temp, steak thickness, cooking time, and seasoning and you will have this problem whipped :D

Last edited:
For most grocery store steaks. I go sear first, and then indirect till I reach temp. For beefier steaks like what your talking about. I'll go the reverse sear route. For seasoning it all depends on what I feel like that day. Usually it's just a simple SnP, but occasionally I'll go with SPOG or Montreal steak. I always use the kettle/Votex combo. For larger steaks the Vortex goes wide end up, and for smaller steaks. It's narrow end up.

Process for a larger steak:
View attachment 678981
View attachment 678983
View attachment 678985

Chris
Super pictures with very vivid colors.

Reactions: Danblacksher
I've never done a reverse sear though I have heard it talked about, I really don't know what it is.

My best steaks have come on the weber kettle but charcoal is a finicky bitch. Just when you think its ready, it sometimes is not. Then you fight it, get the steak done and 20 min later the charcoal is perfect.

Or sometimes its perfect and by the time your done its lost its heat.

My best steak ever has come from a cast iron pan, on a electric stove of all things, basted with butter until perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky