What a great forum! Hailing from CA and NV!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tahoe Sue

Original poster
Dec 10, 2018
Rescue/Tahoe
Recently purchased an offset smoker (Meadow Creek from Pennsylvania) Quite an upgrade from my Bradleys! We have been smoking up a storm ever since! Ribs, chicken, sausage, prime rib and cold smoked cheeses and salmon. I have read this forum for years, so thank you all for your input and great ideas! We are looking for different meats/ foods to smoke and are particularly interested in what some of your favorite woods are to smoke with. I have always been the one to smoke and cook, but my husband Mike is very interested in experiencing this new smoker (yeah). We are semi retired, and live in Rescue, Ca (close to Placerville). I look forward to participating on this forum.

Attachments

• AC25B45F-9D04-481D-A99E-AB37530B2166.jpeg
    AC25B45F-9D04-481D-A99E-AB37530B2166.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 8E86C1A7-17E7-4272-8117-B94C06F2417B.jpeg
    8E86C1A7-17E7-4272-8117-B94C06F2417B.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 23
Welcome aboard. Bunch of good folks here. But you knew that already.

As for favorite woods for smoking, I for one, enjoy pecan, cherry, peach, maple, and of course hickory. It just really depends on what I am smoking.

I am sure others will chime in with their favorites as well.

Welcome to SMF. Im in NorCal as well in Plumas County.

Enjoy that meadow creek.

Brian

Welcome from Mass! I've had some great experiences smoking brisket and my first pork butt smoke went very well yesterday. Everything I have done has been a combo of natural lump charcoal and it has worked great so far. I have to pick up some different things though. I've read great things about pecan and cherry.

Welcome to the site, glad you decided to join up. Nice hauls.

Chris

Welcome Ms. Sue. I am just up the hill in Placerville. Frequent Spud Point as well.
As for wood, I use the regulars but find myself going to Apple more and more (cherry for poultry).

Thank you all for you very warm welcome! And your suggestions! We are cold smoking this weekend, cheeses, salmon, bacon, and sausage. Which wood to use, since their is such a variety of food?

Attachments

• D551F914-B868-4503-AFCD-DE403C6EAA2F.jpeg
    D551F914-B868-4503-AFCD-DE403C6EAA2F.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 11
Welcome Ms. Sue. I am just up the hill in Placerville. Frequent Spud Point as well.
As for wood, I use the regulars but find myself going to Apple more and more (cherry for poultry).

Hi neighbor! We have spent many years in Bodega Bay. Unfortunately, we sold our boat so now we have to actually buy our fish! Have you found a local site to get your wood? We have gone to citrus heights and one in Fair Oaks.

Welcome from Mass! I've had some great experiences smoking brisket and my first pork butt smoke went very well yesterday. Everything I have done has been a combo of natural lump charcoal and it has worked great so far. I have to pick up some different things though. I've read great things about pecan and cherry.
Thank you! We are going to try our hand at a brisket in a couple of weeks and maybe a pork butt. Its just sooo much food! You can only eat so much and we do give it to frieds and famil, but what donyou do with the excess? Freezer?..

Thank you! We are going to try our hand at a brisket in a couple of weeks and maybe a pork butt. Its just sooo much food! You can only eat so much and we do give it to frieds and famil, but what donyou do with the excess? Freezer?..

We have a big family with a lot of big eaters so we don't leave too many leftovers. What we do have leftover I give to friends and repurpose by adding it to other foods or making sandwiches out. Many things go great on a breakfast sandwich with some egg and cheese. I have also seen people on here add leftover meats to mac and cheese which is something I plan on trying in the near future.

Thank you all for you very warm welcome! And your suggestions! We are cold smoking this weekend, cheeses, salmon, bacon, and sausage. Which wood to use, since their is such a variety of food?

I used Hickory for a bazillion years, then began to soften. Now I use Alder for my Salmon, and Apple for my other things.
Most recently I used apple for my Bacon, and for my Dutch's Wicked Beans.
If you use the milder woods, you can always smoke a little longer. But if you use something like Hickory, or Mesquite, and it's too strong... Well, like to much in the Microwave, you can't back up. ;)

We have a big family with a lot of big eaters so we don't leave too many leftovers. What we do have leftover I give to friends and repurpose by adding it to other foods or making sandwiches out. Many things go great on a breakfast sandwich with some egg and cheese. I have also seen people on here add leftover meats to mac and cheese which is something I plan on trying in the near future.
Thanks! Great ideas!

Hi neighbor! We have spent many years in Bodega Bay. Unfortunately, we sold our boat so now we have to actually buy our fish! Have you found a local site to get your wood? We have gone to citrus heights and one in Fair Oaks.
I use an electric smoker with an Amzn tube so I use chips or pellets from one of Mr. Walton's establishments. However, you might check with the farmers up at Apple Hill during this's winter's pruning. They may be willing to give you all the apple sticks you could want? Just a thought. Good luck.

I use an electric smoker with an Amzn tube so I use chips or pellets from one of Mr. Walton's establishments. However, you might check with the farmers up at Apple Hill during this's winter's pruning. They may be willing to give you all the apple sticks you could want? Just a thought. Good luck.
Thanks Hangtown! Great idea!

Good morning and welcome from East Texas

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky