What’s Your favorite wood or wood combo for smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just sold 1/4 cord yesterday. Mostly apple and little cherry and little oak for 155+25$ delivery. So id say U did good if it’s seasoned up.
C1BAC834-C4F3-4D65-9B4B-F5E6120843D6.jpeg

It depends on what I’m cooking. I like to blend a mid/heavy smoking wood like hickory or pecan with cherry. I love the flavor and aroma of them all, but cherry has a smell and flavor all it’s own. And I think it’s true, cherry does give the meat a beautiful red color. When I first got into smoking I had cut down a dogwood tree. It is HARD, burns hot, and has a heavy, earthy kind of taste, similar to oak but still has its own characteristics. I still use some when I can get my hands on it.

I use a lot of apple for ribs and sausage, maple on boston butts for a bit more smoke penetration

I need to try my maple more. I’ve only been using it for outdoor cooking lately and it smells great. What kind of maple are you using on the Boston butts?

I think I may have sugar maple. It smells like sugar. I thought it was oak. It’s the toughest would I’ve ever split. I’d your sugar maple hard to split and stringy?
9264285E-6F13-4FF3-89E1-E62694298A28.jpeg
30902F3F-4DF1-46C9-989D-DA864151B34D.jpeg
Here’s the stuff I got

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm addicted to cherry wood. I use it on most everything. Love the smell of it, the flavor it gives out and the color it leaves. Also I have an abundant supply of it.

20190802_133808.jpg
Maple from a neighbor's yard that fell a week ago. I think it is silver maple, but not sure.
20190802_133825.jpg

5 wheelbarrow loads of maple. I'll take it. I'll chunk some for my WSM and split the rest for the fireplace

I almost always mix hickory and apple. I'll increase the amount of hickory for beef, and use a little more apple for pork.

Reactions: tallbm
I use a lot of apple for pork and chicken. Recently starting mixing cherry and apple and love that. For beef sometimes I still use apple but usually will do a mix of oak and hickory.

70% Apple and 30% Hickory on sausage and bacon
100% Mesquite for beef
100% Maple on sandwich slicing items like my ground venison pastrami and sandwich cuts

Equal amounts of Maple/Cherry/Hickory on pork and chicken or anything I'm not sure about

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky