Weekend brisket & burnt ends. Qview galore!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smokinal, Apr 4, 2011.

1. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Picked up a full packer at Wally World last week. It was a big boy, just over 14 lbs. I trimmed it up, just over 4 lbs. of fat and separated the point from the flat. I soaked the flat, point, & the fat in a marinade for 24 hours. It was just a simple marinade consisting of: Beef broth, Yoshida's, Worsty, onion & garlic powder, & CBP. After the marinade I rubbed it down with: Br. sugar, garlic & onion powder, CBP, & Tone's Montreal steak seasoning. I put the rub on the fat too. Back in the fridge for about 5 hours. Fired up the WSM around 7:30 PM Sat. night. Set it to run at 210 degrees. I put the point & the flat on the bottom rack. Then put all 4 lbs. of the fat on the top rack so it would baste the brisket all night while I slept. About 12 hours later on Sunday morning I checked on them & the point was around 180 & the flat was at 186. I foiled the flat with some beer & took the point off to cube up for burnt ends. Cubed it & tossed in BBQ sauce & back on the smoker for a couple of hours. The flat took about 4 more hours to get to 205. I took it off & wrapped it in towels for 2 more hours. We decided that since the smoker was already fired up, why not make a batch of BBQ sauce & some beans, so I added about 1/2 chimney of unlit charcoal to the fire & put the beans & BBQ sauce on. Kept them on for 4 more hours. It was a long day, but well worth it. The brisket was very tender & moist. The pictures don't really show the color of the meat. It appears that it has a thin smoke ring, but the meat was pink all the way to the center. Here's some pics, hope you enjoy them. 

This is the packer I started with:

[​IMG]

Another look:

[​IMG]

Here it is after I trimmed it & separated it, and marinated it for the 24 hours:

[​IMG]

Rubbed down & ready to go:

[​IMG]

On the WSM on the bottom rack:

[​IMG]

Then the seasoned fat on the top rack:

[​IMG]

Here's the fat all rendered out in the morning,sorry the pic is a little blurry.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the briskets just before I probed them.

[​IMG]

Put the probes in only to find out that there just about ready to foil (flat) & cube (point).

[​IMG]

Here's the point I pulled it at 180.

[​IMG]

I wish the photo was better because the meat is pinkish all the way through:

[​IMG]

Cubed it up & mixed with some BBQ sauce:

[​IMG]

Then back on the grill, got rid of the fat on the top rack. Fed it to the fish in the pond behind the house:

[​IMG]

The burnt ends are done:

[​IMG]

Toss with a little more BBQ sauce & keep hot till dinner:

[​IMG]

Need to add about 1/2 chimney of unlit charcoal because we decided to smoke some BBQ sauce & a batch of beans, this is the contraption I made to get the charcoal into the middle of the ring:

[​IMG]

On go the beans and BBQ sauce:

[​IMG]

The brisket is done:

[​IMG]

So are the beans & BBQ sauce:

[​IMG]

Time to slice the brisket:

[​IMG]

It's hard to see in the photo's but the meat is a beautiful pink color:

[​IMG]

You can see how juicy it is in the next photo:

[​IMG]

Nothing left but making a sammie. Brisket, BBQ sauce, provolone, & cole slaw, on a Publix bakery roll.

[​IMG]

No beans or burnt ends left. Some friends stopped over & we had them for snacks. Split this sammie with Judy. You can see the brisket is just falling apart. I probably sliced it too thin, but it does just melt in your mouth:

[​IMG]

Thank you all for looking, hope you enjoyed it.

pittman, howried, scrub175 and 2 others like this.
  2. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Glorious!!!!!!!

Great pics too!

Craig

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

OMG !!!

That has got to be one of the best threads I've ever seen!

Everything looks absolutely Perfect!!!!!

Man, I wish I was there for some of that!!!

Bear

4. smokinal

Thanks, Bear & Craig. I wish you were here to taste it too Bear.

5. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

DAMNIT Al!! Now I want brisket!

Man that is one tastey looking brisket, good job! [​IMG]

6. smokinal

Thanks Johnny, glad your back at it!

7. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

this is worthy of a Wiki.

Any problem slicing the brisket at 205°?

8. looks pretty darn good! I am drooling over here looking at those burnt ends! by the way I dig your charcoal slide that thing is genius haha.

9. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Must have sliced easily (without falling apart), because Judy put the second string meat cutter in.

Bear

10. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice job!  I see you like a "little cheese".  You can make my sandwich any time.

Good luck and good smoking!

11. ravanelli

ravanelli Fire Starter

Al, this post is really a thing of beauty...I'm inspired to go do some brisket now.  That pan of BBQ looks awesome.

12. realtorterry

realtorterry Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]    WOW Al!!  I'm not a huge brisket lover but you could convert me with that!!

13. gorilla

gorilla Fire Starter

That looks fantastic. Now I'm starving. I could use one of those sandwiches and a cold brew right about now.  

14. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Al, [​IMG]  everything looks absolutely delicious! Thanks for the Q-view! I see a first time brisket thread in my near future [​IMG]

15. rp ribking

rp ribking Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Nice smoke Al,

Brisket looks yummy. lately I have not been getting a deep smoke ring either.

16. thunderdome

thunderdome Master of the Pit

Looks great Al. I like how you put the sauce on the smoker too

17. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Dang I dont know how I missed this thread - All I can say is WOW nice job Al - Man I wish I could get a taste of that.

18. smokinal

Your right Bear, you know it was easy or she'd have done it.

19. smokinal

It sliced real easy, I should have sliced it a bit thicker, because when we started handling it it started to fall apart.

20. smokinal

Thanks, the charcoal slide is just a piece of stove pipe riveted onto the chimney!

Thanks, Merv

Thank-you, & yes the burnt ends really make a great snack while your waiting to slice the brisket.

Thanks Terry, I actually prefer brisket to pork, but I do smoke a lot of butts & ribs.

Thank-you, nothing goes better with brisket than a nice cold beer!

Thanks, I'll look forward to that Qview of your first brisket.

Thanks, actually the smoke ring went all the way to the center. It wasn't real red, but the whole brisket had a pink color. I wish I had a better camera, because when I cut into it I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Thanks Man, I started putting the sauce on the smoker about 1 year ago. It gives it a nice smoky flavor.

Thanks, Gary

I wish you could taste it too. Maybe someday we will be able to email food.