Want to make jerky that is not soft questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertgamble

Original poster
Aug 1, 2015
Midland, Texas
I have decided to start making jerky, and I really love Rileys brand and would like to make something similar.  It is not soft jerky.  When bent, it will break.  I think the recipe should be pretty simple, with soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper.

Have any of you tried this type of jerky and have replicated it?  If so, I would love to hear from you about what you did.

Thanks

My family loves jerky. My FIL makes his like you are wanting it to be. He adds his ingredients like you are saying and then he turns his oven on low, probably 125-150 degrees and leaves jerky in there for 12 hrs. Takes out and lets it dry. Trick is to SLOWLY dry the meat out.

Yes and last longer too.
I prefer my jerky to be more like a smoked steak texture. I cut 1/4inch slices of eye of round, do my marinade and then put in Bradley smoker on 150 for about 4-5 hrs. When I bend mine and see white strands is when I take mine off. Will last 1-2 weeks in fridge but is almost always eaten before it goes bad. Have made it for several friends too. Good luck and experiment with what you like best. Good luck.

My FIL had a dehydrator but doesn't use it anymore. Prefers oven. Got some metal hooks made that he hangs jerky from oven racks. Put foil down first though or else you'll have a big mess

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky