Vortex Owners ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JckDanls 07

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 10, 2011
Tampa area, Florida.
If I could get one of you fine ladys/gentlemen to measure the diameter of both sides/openings of your Vortex as well as the height ?? ( I want to make my own)... I sure would appreciate it ...

Let me also ask about starting your charcoal... Are you starting in a chimney and pouring it in the vortex lit... Or lighting it (from the bottom) after filling with unlit charcoal ???

This should help, i made one for a gift exchange and I used a top dim of 8.5 and a bottom of 12.25 and it worked very good from the user
7410BCE9-D471-4DCB-AB23-31CD6968EA28.jpeg

If you make a paper template you can build one in 30 mins…..

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/vortex—family-favorite.305897/#post-2193535

Last edited:
It looks like civil has you covered on dimensions.
I don't use a chimney to get it going. It is a chimney. I light it from the bottom.

I use a chimney & dump when lit also. But unless you want a 900 degree fire, just use about 1/2 a chimney. You will still need welding gloves to take the top off of the kettle, but it probably is only 600-700 degrees. We like our wings crispy, but not burnt black.
Should be very easy to make one.
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky