Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jack07

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Wisconsin
Hi All,

I am attempting venison summer sausage for the first time in my MES 30. I stuffed the sausage yesterday with LEM Backwoods summer sausage mix & cure, and it has been in the frige overnight. I made with 70% venison & 30% beef fat. (fresh venison I shot with my bow on Saturday..opening day of bow season here! 
yahoo.gif

I am going to start smoker temp at 125 and will be using the AMNPS. I have read to bump the temp every hour, but what is the max temp I should go? 160?

Recipe says to cook to an IT of 165...is that to high for IT?

Thanks for any info you would care to share!

Tim

Hey Jack,

I usually dry my casings for an hour at 130, then bump to 140 with smoke for an hour. Continue bumping 10 degrees each hour and adding as much smoke as you like. I take my smoker to 170-175 the highest. I pull my SS @ 152 IT and place in a cool bath and hang to bloom.

Or, after your smoke cycle is completed. You can poach in a hot bath of 160-165 until you reach an IT of 152, then ice bath and bloom.

Both work fine, the poach bath just speeds things up a bit. Either way, good luck and remember the Q-view!

Sam

BTW, I took a nice Antelope two weeks ago with the bow in Wyoming. Gonna try some speed goat SS this weekend if I have the time.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky