Venison Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KeithLBPI

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 12, 2018
Making my first attempt at summer Sausage. Using Sausage Maker Game Summer Sausage seasoning as I've heard great reviews. Using 4lb venison, 1lb pork far, 1 TSP Cure 1 and 4.5oz of seasoning.

Will grind/mix tonight and let sit overnight regardless of instructions saying to smoke right away. Also adding 0.5lb high temp cheese. Will update

17024898213761252880958654546303.jpg

Making my first attempt at summer Sausage. Using Sausage Maker Game Summer Sausage seasoning as I've heard great reviews. Using 4lb venison, 1lb pork far, 1 TSP Cure 1 and 4.5oz of seasoning.

Will grind/mix tonight and let sit overnight regardless of instructions saying to smoke right away. Also adding 0.5lb high temp cheese. Will update

View attachment 683308
I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I'm not sure if you are new to sausage as whole or just this one. If new overall, I would suggest that after you mix up your seasoning you fry a small amount (just a 2 inch glob) and see if it is too salty, too bland, etc.

If it is good to go at that point you will save yourself some grief of a too salty/too bland experience. If not good to go, then add more seasoning if needed (or salt) or add more meat to dilute a heavy salt flavor. It's good to plan to be able to do this or season conservatively for a pound or 2 and then adjust until you got it sorted out. You would want to know how much you are adding per pound and write it down.
This is something to do with each new sausage and take notes so you can easily repeat a "by weight" measured amount of seasoning per 1 pound of sausage. The volume (teaspoon/tablespoon) measures don't scale well at various weights where the "by weight" measurement of seasonings don't ever go wrong :D

Also, don't worry if it doesn't taste the way you think it is supposed to taste. The flavor will change when the finished product is done.
The key is that it simply just taste good and isn't too salty or too bland :D

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I'm not sure if you are new to sausage as whole or just this one. If new overall, I would suggest that after you mix up your seasoning you fry a small amount (just a 2 inch glob) and see if it is too salty, too bland, etc.

If it is good to go at that point you will save yourself some grief of a too salty/too bland experience. If not good to go, then add more seasoning if needed (or salt) or add more meat to dilute a heavy salt flavor. It's good to plan to be able to do this or season conservatively for a pound or 2 and then adjust until you got it sorted out. You would want to know how much you are adding per pound and write it down.
This is something to do with each new sausage and take notes so you can easily repeat a "by weight" measured amount of seasoning per 1 pound of sausage. The volume (teaspoon/tablespoon) measures don't scale well at various weights where the "by weight" measurement of seasonings don't ever go wrong :D

Also, don't worry if it doesn't taste the way you think it is supposed to taste. The flavor will change when the finished product is done.
The key is that it simply just taste good and isn't too salty or too bland :D
Yes! Not brand new but compared to yall very new. Thanks for the tips

Reactions: tallbm
Well we had a late start since some kids wanted to steal stuff from my porch last night....

Just got meat grinded, seasoned with Cure and grinded again
Taste test was great.

In the fridge going to let bloom about 6hrs before the smoker. Going to let it sit at 120 for 2 or so hours and gradually raise every hr til I get 150 or so IT. Gonna be a long night.
20231214_114056.jpg
20231214_115208.jpg
20231214_122648.jpg

Well we had a late start since some kids wanted to steal stuff from my porch last night....

Just got meat grinded, seasoned with Cure and grinded again
Taste test was great.

In the fridge going to let bloom about 6hrs before the smoker. Going to let it sit at 120 for 2 or so hours and gradually raise every hr til I get 150 or so IT. Gonna be a long night.View attachment 683344View attachment 683346View attachment 683347
Looks like a good start. Yeah it just takes some time.
This is where having an Auber PID with the steps programmed makes it an easy task over night lol. Just put in at night and program the steps to walk up while you sleep and use remote thermometers to wake you up should it finish or anything go wrong (smoker temp shut off, or flame up too high).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out! :D

Reactions: KeithLBPI
Looks like a good start. Yeah it just takes some time.
This is where having an Auber PID with the steps programmed makes it an easy task over night lol. Just put in at night and program the steps to walk up while you sleep and use remote thermometers to wake you up should it finish or anything go wrong (smoker temp shut off, or flame up too high).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out! :D
That sounds like a dream. I have a pit boss Lockhart pellet which treats me pretty good.

Not getting the red color I'm used to like previous after mixing. Think it's from only the 6hr cure? Should I be concerned?

That sounds like a dream. I have a pit boss Lockhart pellet which treats me pretty good.

Not getting the red color I'm used to like previous after mixing. Think it's from only the 6hr cure? Should I be concerned?
Oh you'll be fine.
After it is in the smoker for hours it will turn red, ESPECIALLY if you have any cherry in your wood. Hell it might even turn dark mahogany with the cherry.

With my sausage I mix it all and stuff it all and get going. It never fails to turn color and if I want hot dog pink color I only apply smoke for about 30-45 minutes on my franks/hot dogs and that works well.

You will get color for sure in the smoker :D

Made sure they were stuffed tight after soaking the casings a bit to loosen them up. Had a little extra so we have a mini one too i hand stuffed..
20231214_180556.jpg

20231214_190957.jpg
Ended up cutting the long cases in half. Tied with butcher twine which worked great.

Doing a cherry and pitboss classic blend.
20231214_191518.jpg

In the smoker at 120 for almost 2hrs now. In a hr I'll bump up to 140ish.

20231214_205439.jpg

3hrs at 120 with 95IT bumping it up to around 135.

Just bumped to 155 with a 118IT.. time for a 2hr nap

Just bumped to 155 with a 118IT.. time for a 2hr nap
Well around 3am we were at 145. 5am hit 152. In ice bath now until 120IT then will be loosely wrapped in some butcher paper for 2 days in the fridge

I would put that on a cracker dood! I love that kind of stuff! Love it even more when it is put to some heat! Bon fire, skillet etc! Awesome! Good job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky