Venison summer sausage using the smoker and sous vide

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I made my annual Christmas time venison summer sausage a little different this year. Here's the main ingredients;
IMG_0552.JPG

I usually go 7 pounds venison to 3 pounds pork butt-I didn't have my glasses on when I weighed the venison and read the scales wrong.I didn't discover my error until the next day when the meat was thawed. I only had 5.5 pounds of venny so I added 4.5 pounds of the leanest pork butt I could trim off a butt.
IMG_0550.JPG

I ground up through a 3/16 plate twice and mixed in spices,cheese(1 pound for 10 pounds of meat) and 1 cup of diced jalapenos.
IMG_0554.JPG

I stuffed into 61mm casings that had been soaked in lukewarm water for 45minutes and left in the fridge until the next day.My tools of the trade for stuffing come in handy:
IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

The next morning I dried the sausage in the smoker for and hour+ at 120-130* and then hit them with hickory chips at 140* for two hours. After many questions and great answers from our SMF crew I went to the sous vide with my sausgae for 4.5 hours at 140*. Baldwins chart said 3.25 hours for my size casings and DaveOmak said an hour longer doesnt' hurt. The sausage was a bit crowded in the container so I went a bit longer.Into the snow they went for an hour :
IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

I cut into them today and they are perfect!!! I will do all my VSS this way from now on.
IMG_0564.JPG

All packed up and ready to give out at Christmas time. Thanks for looking, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all at SMF! CM
IMG_0566.JPG

Looks great the summer sausage mix I get from sm already has fermento in it. Ordered their jalapeño powder to add to my next batch after the holidays. How was the heat with the pickled jalapeños?

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks great the summer sausage mix I get from sm already has fermento in it. Ordered their jalapeño powder to add to my next batch after the holidays. How was the heat with the pickled jalapeños?
CC, I would add the whole 12ounces next time for 10 pounds,only used 8.The VSS has some heat but mild.

Reactions: crazzycajun
Looks great, I have a ? do the casings you used let the smoke in? then into the SV bath? wouldn't that wash any smoke off ? just wondering as I need to make some soon thanks

Looks great, I have a ? do the casings you used let the smoke in? then into the SV bath? wouldn't that wash any smoke off ? just wondering as I need to make some soon thanks
Mike, I use a fibrous casing that lets smoke in and then I vacseal the sausage when it comes out of the smoker to waterproof it before the SV bath. There is a high barrier casing that is water proof but it is also smoke proof.

Reactions: mike243
Looks great. Your killing me here. Doing my yearly Venison Summer Sausage next week.

Looks great. Your killing me here. Doing my yearly Venison Summer Sausage next week.
RB, Try the sous vide if you have one,it makes the process so much easier.You'll know exacly when the sausage is done with no fat out or wrinkling.

Looks fantastic!!! Similar to the way I do ours, only I use 75/25 ground beef for the summer sausage. We use pork with the venison in our hot sausage and kielbasi, but I found that I like beef better in the bologna (summer sausage)... Just my preference... Yours looks marvelous! LIKE!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky