Valentine's Day Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

superdave

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Sacramento, CA
My wife suggested that we stay in tonight to avoid the madness at restaurants, so, I seasoned a small prime rib that I had in the freezer. 

Fresh green beans and twice baked potatoes will round out the main meal.  I stopped by the bakery yesterday and got a piece of Tuxedo cake for us to share for dessert.

Working on the taters while the PR is doing its thing.

Finish pictures and think they might speak for themselves:

Meat:

Man that turned out Fantastic, everything looks great  

points.gif

Gary

Looks Great Dave!!
points.gif

Nice & low & slow----Pink from bark to bark----My Favorite way!!!

drool.gif

Taters look Great too!!!

Bear

Y'all gunna have to quit talking about Prime Rib,  Having withdrawals 

Gary

Sorry I missed this Dave, prime rib was beautiful. I am a big fan of stuffed poatoes but have not make one in awhile. Hmmmmm...... inspiration, Tomorrow! I know I have the taters and everything else. Think about it with Andouille crumbles on top too!! Mouth just started watering!

Great job.

does look super.  What temp did you take the meat out at?  Did you foil and rest?  How long.  Trying a 4 rib roast this weekend.

Potatoes wre precooked I guess.  How long in the smoke?

Licking my chops

Meat came out at 137, which worked out to be about 40 minutes a pound time wise.  The meat rested for 15 - 20 minutes before we sliced and served.  I baked the potatoes in the oven, mashed and finished in the smoker for 30 minutes with smoke at 250 to re-heat potatoes.  

Did you sear the meat before smoking? I have never tried one on the smoker but havent had luck in the oven with the 500 degrees then turn off until meat is done. Always seems to end up over cooked for me.

Did you sear the meat before smoking? I have never tried one on the smoker but havent had luck in the oven with the 500 degrees then turn off until meat is done. Always seems to end up over cooked for me.

I put them on the smoker at room temp till they were close to where I wanted them and then put them on the grill at very high temp for just long enough to get a good sear on the outside. They were perfect!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky