Unwrapped Baby Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Curtis Claymont

Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
New York, NY
I cook plenty of St Louis ribs, but the wife is partial to baby backs and I enjoy them too, so they show up more often at our place. I've always had great success just cooking straight through on the Camp Chef with no wrap, 3-2-1, 2-2-1 or anything else. In the last few months, I've experimented with some of the wrap methods and prefer the texture and flavor of the unwrapped ribs. Am I the only one? Pic below is a recent rack unwrapped.
Ribs1.jpg

No wrap here, I do mop, prefer spares, babys usually just take a bit less time. Ocassionally a very light glaze if making for others and it’s requested.

My last rib cook was a half rack of baby backs alongside some chicken thighs. It was my first no wrap cook and turned out fantastic. Plan on doing it that way again next time.

Reactions: tallbm
No wrap for me, either, I like bark and a little tug. But will on occasion if company comes that I know wants them to fall off of the bone...

IMO ribs reach their peak flavor when you get to the clean bite stage. Beyond a clean bite, the meat continues to cook and flavor starts to diminish. The FOTB profile has a lot of followers and if that's the way you roll, go for it. In the end it always comes down to personal preference. JMTC :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
What temps do you run and for how long? My wife is really keen on not having sauces on her ribs and those look incredible.
Baby backs I run at 250. They usually take about 5 hours - sometime 6 depending on the thickness. I run to an IT of 195. 195 IT is where they are tender with some bite and chew - no mushy.

Sometime I sauce for the last 30 min or so...sometimes I only add sauce at the table.

Sometimes I run them on high smoke (180) for the first hour - which will push the done time out a touch.

Those methods are tried and true. I make BBs all the time. I love them and better yet so does my wife. Here is a rack I made with no sauce.

Reactions: ddow229
Baby backs I run at 250. They usually take about 5 hours - sometime 6 depending on the thickness. I run to an IT of 195. 195 IT is where they are tender with some bite and chew - no mushy.

Sometime I sauce for the last 30 min or so...sometimes I only add sauce at the table.

Sometimes I run them on high smoke (180) for the first hour - which will push the done time out a touch.

Those methods are tried and true. I make BBs all the time. I love them and better yet so does my wife. Here is a rack I made with no sauce.
Those are gorgeous! Nice, meaty rack with a killer smoke ring.

I am definitely going to play around with this. Those look absolutely delicious!

Those look awesome!!!

Trying 2-2-1 for my first go today.. only 2nd time using new offset.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky