Unmitigated disaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
First thing is to get a good calibrated wireless reporting thermometer. It's a very valuable tool regardless of what equipment you smoke on. Test your smoker with it for grate temps. This will put to bed what difference in temp there is from actual. After that, flats are different than whole packers when it comes to smoking. Believe in another thread from you (?) some members pointed to methods to help get a flat done & tender without being dried out. It can be done, they're just a bit more finicky.

Don't see any mention of how much salt you put on or when, ie night beore or right before going into the smoker.
Thanks for the wireless suggestion. Another friend outside of here suggested something similar given the amount of moisture and no bark. My assumption of the readings being right on my new smoker may be wrong. My rub was 1/3 salt, 1/3 crushed pepper, 1/3 onion powder that I put on the night before. It was in the fridge for 18 hours before smoking (excluding defrost time since it was previously frozen). I took it out about an hour before I started to bring it up to room temp.

Thanks for the wireless suggestion. Another friend outside of here suggested something similar given the amount of moisture and no bark. My assumption of the readings being right on my new smoker may be wrong. My rub was 1/3 salt, 1/3 crushed pepper, 1/3 onion powder that I put on the night before. It was in the fridge for 18 hours before smoking (excluding defrost time since it was previously frozen). I took it out about an hour before I started to bring it up to room temp.
1/3 coarse salt or 1/3 fine salt? BIG difference in "salt" quantity. 1/3 fine pink salt would gag a person. Of course it all depends on how much you put on in total...

Arron Franklin of Franklin's Barbeque has a book on Amazon you can get the Kindle version - very much worth the cost.

No one should ever expect their first few briskets to turn out edible! :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: 02ebz06
Arron Franklin of Franklin's Barbeque has a book on Amazon you can get the Kindle version - very much worth the cost.
It you are referring to the same one I have, it is an excellent book.
Franklin Barbecue - A Meat Smoking Manifesto

I have a pork shoulder in fridge, took out yesterday.
Will be my first time using his 2 part pepper to 1 part salt, for pork.
Always had my own rubs to use, so this will be new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retired Spook
Was actually looking for the amount (ozs, tbs, grams etc) not the ratio. BTW the tried and true Texas ratio version is 50/50 S&P and no onion powder but it's a matter of taste. Retired Spook Retired Spook is correct the type of salt is important. Most use kosher salt. Regarding built-in thermometers: never trust them! They are notorious for being inaccurate regardless of the maker.

Was actually looking for the amount (ozs, tbs, grams etc) not the ratio. BTW the tried and true Texas ratio version is 50/50 S&P and no onion powder but it's a matter of taste. Retired Spook Retired Spook is correct the type of salt is important. Most use kosher salt. Regarding built-in thermometers: never trust them! They are notorious for being inaccurate regardless of the maker.
I used coarse sea salt. As for amount about 2 tablespoons of each. Also I neglected to mention earlier that I used yellow mustard as a binder. Not a ton, but just enough to lightly cover it so the rub would stick.

Read Arron Franklin's book a few times and get yourself some good thermometers - it'll come together.

I used coarse sea salt. As for amount about 2 tablespoons of each. Also I neglected to mention earlier that I used yellow mustard as a binder. Not a ton, but just enough to lightly cover it so the rub would stick.
Sounds like you need to use more rub when you're prepping your meat. I'm trying to envision what four tablespoons looks like on a 6 pound flat, but it sounds like more of a sprinkle instead of a rub. That will help with the bark. Type of wood, moisture, fat cap, and heat also contribute.

Here's a pork tenderloin I smoked the other day. The meat is fully coated by the rub.

1695688076631.png

Chris

Reactions: DougE
Sounds like you need to use more rub when you're prepping your meat. I'm trying to envision what four tablespoons looks like on a 6 pound flat, but it sounds like more of a sprinkle instead of a rub. That will help with the bark. Type of wood, moisture, fat cap, and heat also contribute.

Here's a pork tenderloin I smoked the other day. The meat is fully coated by the rub.

View attachment 677106

Chris
Pack that rub on rather than a sprinkle. That's the whole point of using a binder.

Franklin doesn't go very heavy on the rub - but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I am sure that I recall your original post stating your briskest was way too salty?

This is a clip from Franklin's book that illustrates his 50/50 rub and how much of it he uses.

The Rub.jpg

Attachments

• 0A1B56C2-F18B-43B3-860A-C829E2589A08.jpeg
    0A1B56C2-F18B-43B3-860A-C829E2589A08.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 9FF5EBFF-B241-4D40-8615-7E428046B27E.jpeg
    9FF5EBFF-B241-4D40-8615-7E428046B27E.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 17
Hi all, new to smoking meat. Have to say I regret venturing into this. Got a Camp Chef and have been experimenting with various cuts for about a month and nothing has come out good. Worse was today trying to smoke a brisket. After 12 hours trying to smoke a 6lb brisket and not being able to get it to the right temp I shut it down and threw it out. This sucks.
i DON'T LIKE BRISKET (THERE..i said it) with that said, there are many ways to do brisket.
Please tell us if it was a whole brisket, or perhaps just the flat? I've been at this awhile and every time I've cooked (smoked) a flat, I didn't like it. However I have manipulated a few brisket points that came out awesome, especially when I made burnt ends.
Let us help.

Hmm... see the mustard, sea salt & some pepper. Guessing the longer strands are garlic? Looks like there is something else there, kinda like a dust/powder? I would highly suggest going the Franklin way that Retired Spook Retired Spook shows above. Note the fat cap is still there. Kosher salt & cracked black pepper. Try to cover all of the meat including the sides. No need for mustard.

Last edited:
A couple things

check Your thermometer with a boiling water test for accuracy, but two spare InkBird ones on Amazon and check those as wel for accuracy….

Next time you put a brisket on start it at 225 for like two hours then go 250 for the rest of the cook…. Wrap at around 160-170 but only if you like the bark….

Once wrapped cooked till it’s tender when you push a probe or bamboo skewer into the meat start doing that when the meat reach 195 degrees so go with alittle bit of rest at but not much kind of like imagine putting a probe into frozen icream it’s will
Have some resistance but not much

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky