UMAI Dry ????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
I've made a few capicola and lonzino in the past using their dry bags. This morning after nine days curing in the fridge it was time to put a 4.4 pound capicola into the UMAi bag. It would not fit into the bag and I had to cut about a 3/4 pound slab off the cured coppa to fit it in after a coating of paprika. Just wondering if this will still work OK, any advise will be greatly appreciated. RAY

DSCN3247.JPG

Thanks Ryan. My concern was if cutting the cured exterior will have a negative effect on the rest of the process. Guess I'll just wait to find out. RAY

So now it goes in a curing chamber or back in the refer? ..JJ

Reactions: sawhorseray
As long as the cure has made it to the center, I don't see any problems.

I cured for nine days as opposed to the recommended seven Keith, so I'm hoping that's enough. I reckon I'll find out when times up and I cut it in half. If the coloration isn't uniform I'll toss it. RAY

If you added days, you should be good. You could always take a piece that you cut off and do a fry test, then you will know.

When I said I was going to cook it up for Bob someone on my staff tossed it into the garbage. RAY

Cure #1 and dogs don't mix well? Not that I doubt you, but I've Never heard that before. They don't get it often, once or twice a month, but my 3, and their predecessors, eat Ham, Kielbasa, Hot Dogs, Salami and other cured meats without issue. All living 12 to 14 years...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky