UH OH, MES bit the dust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tprice

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Turned my MES on last night to preheat and just check it all out before smoking 1 of our 3 birds this am(frying other 2)

Was up to 2665+ with no problem for couple hours . Came in and watched some College/NBA basketball while wife was doing some of her T Day cooking prep .

Went back out and smoke was OFF, power cord is on(heavy duty lighted cord) and nothing at all on control panel. No lights beeps or anything

So going to give the smoked bird a shot on my Weber Kettle, read the Weber site last night and about what I figured, drip pan with coals on side for indirect heat. Temp will be little higher than I like but seems quicker .

Any tips on this plus any ideas on my MES as to the issue. Replaced the burner 1 time but but thought if that was bad I would still have power. Can not recall (it was under warranty then. It is about 5-6yrs old

Check the back were the wire goes in,the connector is probably corroded or broken.
Richie

I don't know which MES you have but mine had a plate just above were the wire went in
100_4085.JPG

when mine died, i tried to fix it three times, to no avail. toss the darn thing, save yourself the grief, and move up the food smoking ladder! lol! but of course, mine was a smoke hollow!

Had to fix mine a couple of weeks ago . Gen 1 mes 30 . I had no heat , but the control panel was still lit up .
Inspection cover removed . Wire burnt of the terminal
20181104_140731.jpg
Replaced the female connecters , both sides and used heat shrink to cover .
20181105_125842.jpg
You may have another problem .
Cooked alot of turkeys on a weber kettle . Comes out great .
Good luck .

Was up to 2665+ with no problem for couple hours . Came in and watched some College/NBA basketball while wife was doing some of her T Day cooking prep .

At that temp it's no wonder it burned out. :rolleyes::D:)

Chris

Use that temp all time for turkeys

Plugged it back in this am and it came on but after short time I noticed it off again .

I will take a look at it this weekend.

FUNNY did not see that. Would be a TAD BIT warm. LOL

Took turkey off Weber and looks great

Only thing is I used a brown sugar rub and and is darker than I like, looks burned at first.

See what inside is like after while, letting it rest now

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky