UDS Build in AZ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinthesmc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona - Phoenix area
Hey I picked up my Drum this weekend for my UDS they had two for $10 each. They had been use for Apply Juice Concentrate still has the label on the outside. I took both in case anyone out there may be looking for one also. PM me if you want it. Same price I paid for it $10. Or Free if you can help out with some of my weld work on mine. I have little to no connections for that.

85bb7438_DSC01186.jpg

Last edited:
where in AZ are you? I'm not really needing the drum but can help w/ welding. I have a flux core wire feed welder and live in Mesa near Gilbert/Southern.

I don't realy need another drum, especially one of those lined jobbers, but I do have all the necessary tools and a flux core arc welder so you are more than welcome to build here. I do have a minimum beer fee though!
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

You get the parts and I'll help ya with the build..

Lindsay and University area..

Last edited:
OK, I got some UDS new build Questions. I got one 3/4 " ball valve, But how many 3/4" intakes with caps should I do, 2 or 3.

Next Question

Im gonna do the Weber charcoal grate for the bottom of the char basket should I go with the 15" or the 18" grate.

OK, I got some UDS new build Questions. I got one 3/4 " ball valve, But how many 3/4" intakes with caps should I do, 2 or 3.

Next Question

Im gonna do the Weber charcoal grate for the bottom of the char basket should I go with the 15" or the 18" grate.
I would do 3 for good measure, but 2 is all I ever really open.

This past weekend i had a rapid temp drop w/ some lump so I opened all three to bounce it back. But quickly shut the 3rd

Let me know how hard it was to get rid of that type liner because i can get those same kind of drums.
Actually I called every sandblast company in the valley, got prices of $25 -$30 for the inside and $50 for inside and out. Then I asked everyone I could find, And one guy I know said they have one at work to do whatever they do. He said to give him $20 and he'll even drop it off at my door. SWEET ! ! But even the $25 - $50 is worth it in my book. I'll cut some corners somewhere to make up for it,

The exterior really isn't probably worth the extra money.  Couple cures for the exterior if you don't want the original color, 1) do a burn in it before you drop it off for blasting and the paint will be gone or 2) just sand the original paint lightly to scuff it up a bit and paint over it.  Even if you have the exterior blasted you're probably going to want to hit it with some sandpaper just to smooth the surface a little prior to painting.  Or not!  LOL

Just depends if you want pretty or ugly! hahaha

Agreed, it's worth every penny for the sandblasting.

Have you decided on a coal grate size yet?  Of the 3 burns we discussed over in my thread, I didn't have any trouble after raising the grate to 3 inches as pandemonium suggested after my first burn. 

Since it was only $20 bucks I had them do the inside and out. I gave it a rough texture on the outside due to the sand dimpling the steel. I kind of like it, it's like a grit added to a paint. So I think I will use a matt or flat paint for the outside.

DeanNC No, I am still waiting to see what every one thinks on the size of the bottom of the charcoal basket?

I have a great Idea for a dome lid that I havent seen anywhere yet. More about that later.

Unfortunatly I am going on holiday out of state for a week so the build will be on hold.

Chefrob- there is a scrap metal guy on Higley and Warner area in Gilbert. I was driving by and they were just sitting out front / just the two but im sure he can get just about what ever you are looking for. They were like brand new and still had the paper sticker on the outside with Apple Juice Concentrate.

Deannc thanks will do on the holiday Dad In Law smokes too  I have learned so much in sausage making and  smoking etc. Rest of trip will be Fishing and Golfing. cant wait

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky