twin 250 gallon build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjwells

Original poster
Feb 27, 2013
Have looked at form for weeks and finaly have plan and material here are some pic

Well here we go i have 3   250 gallon tanks      1 175 gallon tank and a 8' x 20' dech on the fifthwheel trailer

dave i hope you see this thread have ?

The plan is to use the 3 250 gallon tanks as 2 smokers with 1 joint fire box  the 175 tank will be a regular pit i hope feldon bbq cal. can help although i am confused with cook chamber opening size and length propsed firebox would be 30" round and 48" inches long with 12" ressesed in the smooker this will be a RF build. if any one can help with suggestions or advice feel free to put your 2 cents in . first build so go with family motto do it big or go home. will have propsed diagram up tommarrow.

JJ, morning...  Those types of builds look interesting.... I don't know how to guarantee equal heat distribution between the 2 cooking chambers...  Also, there is not an easy solution for the upper air inlet to move heat and smoke without increasing the air flow to the fire grate...   PM solaryellow and ask how many his smoker will cook for..   I think he has a 500 gallon tank....  It will give you an idea rack size and #'s food...  Dave

7c239ab4_0919111035b.jpg

900x900px-LL-417d7f17_2012-09-14_13-39-12_560.jpg

I would consider making two side by side but separate fire boxes. Sharing one fire box to me would be comberson.... Maintaining two during a cook is not...
just my 2 Cents... Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey I like the way you think go big or go home.  I also like the layout so you are on the trailer vs standing off to the side of it to tend to the cooking chambers.  I have no experience in building smokers at all so bare w/me as I try to learn along w/u on this one.

In my thoughts about your build you may find it difficult if near impossible to keep the temperatures even and consistent in both cookers when using two exhaust stacks.  One theory for this is cross flow from one stack to the other from any breez and or any dimentional differences in each cooking chamber from sizes of meat and or imperfect chamber sizes.  Oh and not to mention any time you open one door from one cooker it will effect the other as well.

Maybe if you were able to channel both exhaust stacks back into one stack w/the proper exhaust flow you may have better luck.  Just a theory and by no means am I trying to come off like I know about this stuff.  It just seems to me that it's possible if you find the right solution.  I always like to  believe that if you can dream it, it can be done.  Bear in mind it may take a lot of work and lots of trial and errors.  Be prepared to make a lot of fine tuning tweeks of things here and there to get it just right if.  Call NASA I'm sure they're dying to help " sorry I had to "

I'd like to see where this one goes.

Last edited:
If your goal is to feed 500 people my only followup question would be, What are you wanting them to eat?
If it's pork shoulder then one of those 250 tanks would suffice. However if it's something that takes up more grate space like racks of spare ribs then you could plan to place your grates closer together in order to gain the additional sq in. Either way I think you can feed 300-500 on a single 250gal tank setup properly.

This looks very ineresting. Like others have said one firebox for 2 somkers is going to be a nightmare, I think. You could cut the firebox tank in half and make two seperates, but leave them the same orientation on the trailer. I'm not sure how you would be able to regulate draft and get the proper temps with just using it as one. Plus it would make it a lot easier to just use one smoker for smaller cooks when needed. Either way, I wil be interested to see the outcome.

I agree with Ras, one firebox would be a nightmare to regulate two smokers.  I'm building dual smokers but only because of doing chicken along with pork or beef.  Oh, and because I think it looks awesom.  My 288 gal tank is huge and excepting ribs it would cook for 500 if portioned out properly.  I only put in double stack racks but there is room for triple stack racks and that is alot of cook surface....a whole lot.  I did seperate fireboxes because I can't see how to regulate both smokers with just a single firebox.  Good luck....looking forward to following your build.

This looks very ineresting. Like others have said one firebox for 2 somkers is going to be a nightmare, I think. You could cut the firebox tank in half and make two seperates, but leave them the same orientation on the trailer. I'm not sure how you would be able to regulate draft and get the proper temps with just using it as one. Plus it would make it a lot easier to just use one smoker for smaller cooks when needed. Either way, I wil be interested to see the outcome.

X2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky