Twice Cooked Picanha over Open Fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
One of my favorites: twice cooked picanha.

2.2 lb picanha from grocery, trim to 1/4" fat cap, score, dry brine.

P1060091.jpeg

Cook picanha at low heat, 30-60 minutes depending on thickness, fat cp mostly down, to IT of 110F.
Roast potatoes in coals until soft, 30-60 minutes.

P1060099.jpeg

Let meat rest 15 minutes.

P1060107.jpeg

Slice into individual steaks, 1.25 to 1.5 inch thick.

P1060109.jpeg

Add salt and grill over high heat, until medium to medium-rare.

P1060114.jpeg

And I'm gonna roast some poblanos for a side, peel and deseed.

P1060094.jpeg

And maybe grill up some spinach too, with EVO and garlic, only a couple of minutes until soft, with tossing.

P1060123.jpeg

Getting hungry.

P1060124.jpeg

So lets slice up the meat.

P1060129.jpeg

And ...

P1060135.jpeg

thanks for looking

Oh man, you know how to make a man hungry first thing in the morning!! That is a great looking meal.

Jim

Amazing looking meal. Thanks for the picture showing the Santa Maria in action. I recently got one and have been enjoying getting back to cooking over open fire. I have not been preheating the wood. I do on my offset, but hadn’t thought about it on the Santa Maria. Now I will.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Damn!!!!!
That all looks KILLER!!!

Damn, Cheffing it up!!!! Looks Amazing!!

Steve ...What's not to love with a meal like that. :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum:

David

Looks great, Steve. I've never thought about grilled spinach, but why not? I'll have to give that a try...
You need to thoroughly coat the spinach with oil. Spinach will readily absorb a smoky flavor so don't overdo it.

Great technique all around . Best way to cook a baked potato .
Charles , that caught my eye too .
I actually prefer to stick the potato into embers naked (without foil), but you gotta watch it more closely.

Oh man, you know how to make a man hungry first thing in the morning!! That is a great looking meal.
Jim

That looks absolutely delicious!
Nicely done!
Al

Very nice indeed!

Wow! I’m loving all of these open flame/Santa Maria cooks! Nice job.
Fred

Edmonds, pure perfection!!!!!!!

Wow, prepared expertly and no doubt a wonderful meal. Well done!

Amazing looking meal. Thanks for the picture showing the Santa Maria in action. I recently got one and have been enjoying getting back to cooking over open fire. I have not been preheating the wood. I do on my offset, but hadn’t thought about it on the Santa Maria. Now I will.
Yea, it helps them ignite quicker if you need to keep the fire going.

Beautiful meal and as much as I love steak I'd have loved those poblanos and spinach too.
Those homegrown ripe poblanos were hotter than jalapeños. The green ones are more mild.

Thanks everyone.
I can't remember where I got the idea of twice cooking - first as a roast, then as steaks. It puts more crust on the meat.

I've now smoked several picanhas -- one last night which was dry brined overnight. Using my CC Woodwind and a smoke tube, I Low Smoked it for an hour then turned up the heat to 275F, per, more or less, Jeff's recipe. I took it off at 115F internal and put it on a gas grill which was about 700F, taking about 5 minutes to sear. The result was a bit overly medium rare. Medium. In the 2 previous smokes, I took the picanha off at 110F internal and seared for about 5 minutes. After resting -- a perfect medium rare. The moral of this story is -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or, in our vernacular -- If taking it off at 110F results in a perfect medium rare, don't take it off at 115F.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
That looks amazing, what is the sauce on the meat?
Thanks. The sauce is made from homemade smoky serrano hot sauce with some added Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, dash of soy sauce, and pinch of paprika.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky