Turbinado or Brown Sugar

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seven10ashbury

Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
I've heard good things about both Turbinado sugar and Brown sugar for rubs. Which do you guys think is best? Brown sugar rubs seem to stick better, but Turbinado rubs take longer to burn.

I use turbinado in rubs more than brown sugar simply because it doesn't clump as bad and has a higher burn temp. With that said I believe the brown sugar is sweeter

I use brown sugar . tried turbanado and didn't care for it.

cool.gif

I have and use both of them. It's true that turbinado burns hotter and I think that browns sugar does add more sweetness too. Right now I like a little more or kind of a sweet kick to my pork ribs so I add brown sugar to my rubs. but later you never  know what I might try nexttime.

I highly recommend muscovado sugar. It's a dark brown sugar that has a great mollasses flavor. It's very rich in flavor, yet not overly "sugary" tasting.

Reactions: meateater
I like Brown Sugar myself. I have used Turbinado but it didn't stick very well. That Muscovado sugar is a little on the pricey side but I will try to find a small quantity so I can try it.

I have been going back and forth with this myself.

The turbinado does have a higher burning point and does mix easily in rubs, but is priced higher.

I have been using Light Brown sugar for the simple fact that I picked up 10lbs of it a while back.

I have a citrus rub what I use on poultry an ribs, that I use turbanado in fer the higher temps.  I use brown sugar in my regular rub.

I powderize all my rubs (coffee grinder) so sticken ta the meat really ain't a problem.

Try em on different things an see what ones ya like better on different meats.  No one answer fer all a it.

I use maple sugar!
I just wanted to second this. I have used both brown and turbinado sugar in rubs in the past with good results. But last weekend I substituted in maple sugar for some babyback ribs. Wow, what a difference! The flavor is kind of subtle, you know something is there, but you're not quite sure what it is. But it takes the ribs to a whole new level. The family didn't even use my sauce, and I make a killer bbq sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky