Trying to make a smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kookie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 27, 2007
Mandan North Dakota
Was just wondering if anyone has some measurements for a smoke daddy the big one. I have some 3 inch inside diamiter alum. pipe that I want to use. Just trying to get the specs right. If not I will just wing it. Thanks....

Thats what I was thinking. Wanted to see what the smoke daddys were for comparing them. I was thinking of making the pipe about 10 inches long. I might be able to get 3 or 4 out of the pipe peices I have.

Take some time and "study" you will find what you need. Or you can pay the man and get a template.

I myself am a person who tinkers, Look at his product and figure out how to make it better for your purposes.

For the price/time/material the one that is for sale at a number of places on Ebay are not priced too bad.

I made one out of a alum. drive shaft from a van. Not sure of the dimensions, just machined everything to fit.

(I think he says the Kahuna is 4x12)

Kookie
The shaft of Smoke Daddy's "The Big Kahuna" is 7.623" 's long, this is the shaft measurement not counting the top and bottom caps.
The outside diameter is 3.484" 's.
The interior diameter is 3.059" 's.

For the cost of materials, time and getting a good fit for a tried a true product; Smoke Daddys prices are reasonable.

if you make it to long you will need a bigger air pump ... been there dont that i have made 10 for my buddys and I there easy mine are alum .. and brass no pipe stuff galvanized =bad lol
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

I would say that by the time you buy the materials and have machining work done you will have more invested than if you bought one from Smoke Daddy...

I have the main pipe already, got that free. And I have spare aquarium air pumps laying around. So the only things I need to get yet is the connecting pipes and fittings andthe end caps and air valve ands I have some screen that should work. The pipe I have is 3 inches inside diam. and 3 1/2 outside diam. Besides I like to tinker on ****. More fun that way.

Kookie, I have the large smoke daddy and if I were make one I would use something larger than the 1/2" nipple that comes with it. The reason is the inside gets coated with creosote and tar then the ID gets to small. Every few smokes I have to disassemble and clean it out.

Maybe 3/4 inch would be better. I think that no matter what size it will get tar build up in it over time. I will have to see what I can find to use.

Thanks Mossy. Those measurements will help. The smoke daddy prices are reasonable. I am just a tight wad and like to make things on my own, plus I got the main pipe free from my dad. I am hoping to make 3 or 4 of these for now with the pipe I have now.

Think of your smoke gun as a wood stove give it more air under the grate, and you get a fire. Partically close up the bottom, you get a slow burn, or smoke. If you close up the bottom completely you will get a no burn. You must experiment a bit to get the slow burn, but it makes things easier, as you don't need electric to your smoke guns. Simple but effective.

Hi Group
I’m the guy that makes the SMOKE DADDY‘s. I’m glad to see that the concept of the cold smoke generator has gotten so much attention. It is a simple design and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on it. I’m also happy to see that people are copying the design. That tells me that I must have gotten it right. I do want to caution that the tube gets very hot and I would stay away from using galvanized pipe. I use heavy gauge aluminum which helps dissipate the heat. It is a little pricey but worth it in the long run. I’m thinking of introducing an XX large Smoke Daddy that will smoke for 8 hrs plus on a single load for overnight smoking. I enjoy reading all the comments. This helps me make a quality product. And yes I do have a patent and a trademark . SMOKE ON!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky