Tri Tip?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm from Alabama and didn't hear of tri tip till I was in my early 40s...Heard it in a Robert Earl Keen song. Me being me, I went out and found one. The butcher said he didn't sell any but he could get me one.

In an earlier post from a guy from CA, he said the tritip is getting more expensive. Thank you Food network. They've got everybody around the country with a grill buying the tougher pieces of meat (hence the bbq and slow smoking).

Same thing happened to the redfish after the blackened craze. They almost got fished out.

After living in So. Cal for many years then coming back to TN, I looked for tri-tip for a long time and got a lot of strange looks! I had one butcher tell me if I could tell him what it was he would cut it for me...which he did!
Meat dept. here in TN are starting to at least know what it is, even if they don't have it. I guess I shouldn't be suprised...where I live we just got DSL 3 yrs ago and still begging for cable- you can get a mean pork chop around here though!

I have found it once here in South Florida. Publix had it labled as Sirloin Tri Tip. That was about a month ago and I have not seen it since. I will request it from the butcher. I had asked for it once several months ago and he said they could get it but had had no calls for it.

Scott

After some research I found out that tri tip is nothing more than the Bottom Sirlion.   Many butchers/stores either cut it into steaks or make hamburger out of it. Very sad because it makes a wonderful roast with lots of flavor.  Just buy the whole bottom sirlion.  I buy it untrimed because it has a layer of fat that is just the right size. Just enough to keep the meat moist but not to grease. 

Last edited:
After some research I found out that tri tip is nothing more than the Bottom Sirlion.   Many butchers/stores either cut it into steaks or make hamburger out of it. Very sad because it makes a wonderful roast with lots of flavor.  Just buy the whole bottom sirlion.  I buy it untrimed because it has a layer of fat that is just the right size. Just enough to keep the meat moist but not to grease. 

Thanks ive been wanting to do one for a long time but here in Tallahassee whenever I go to my butcher at Publix and ask about tri tip he gives me funny looks. Might do one this weekend if I can, I haven't had the time to do too many long smoking projects lately and I love beef especially slow roasted to perfection beef.

Last edited:
Awesome roast when you don't have the time for a brisket. I put my "Mustard" sauce on it about 1 hour in and let it reduce with the juices. Wrap in foil and rest, then slice and serve on sweet Hawaiian rolls. Makes the best darned sliders and people go nuts for them.

I'm new to these this forum, and from the praise Pops gets it may be sacrilege to "correct" him, but here goes nothing. He is theoretically correct about the grain and the way to slice tri-tip We take it one step further out in California. It is not a huge change, but any improvement is a good improvement imo.

Pops example, that will get you against the grain

The way I cut my tri tip, to optimize across grain perpendicularity. Red first then blue.

Well there is a link, not sure how to post pics.

Last edited:
I find em all the time in North Carolina. Might be a north east thing?? Costco is a good source for them if you have a membership. 

Doug

Yes, they go by different names.

They are also sold as tri tips when they are not.

As Pops pointed out they come from the bottom sirloin butt which is commonly separated into the tri tip, the ball tip and the flap.

Don't buy this cut if you are thinking prime rib.  It isn't.

It comes off the bottom sirloin and it will not melt in your mouth like some wives think of tenderloins or prime ribs.

It was made popular in California because it was a cheaper cut.  Great beef flavor.  Tender enough if cooked and sliced right?

The tri tip is no longer a cheaper cut because it is so popular.  Many in California now will not pay rib roast prices?  The tri tip has become so popular that the price is right up there.  Make your choice?

Some of the tougher cuts have great flavor tho?

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:

heres my tips...i probably sliced it wrong..but i swear my knife cut thru it like butter..my 3yr old daughter tore up a 7-8 of those slices, and shes tiny..haha

smoked with hickory,and apple wood mix, and rubbed with a little seasoning salt,garlic,& onion and black pepper,and dusted with red chili flake . pulled at 140 and tented for half hour.  then it met its sweet sweet demise...and we ended up with full bellies..

Very nice. As long as you enjoyed it who cares how it got sliced. You can always focus on that next time. I love tri tip. I lived in Southern California for 40 years (couldnt pay me to move back) and tri tip was pretty much a staple. One of my favs.. 

Doug

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky