Traeger is buying Meater

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dow

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2021
Boerne, TX
Morning,

** MODS: if this is in the wrong place, then please move it to where it should be. Thanks! **

I just saw this, and thought I'd pass it along. Not sure if it's already been shared, but thought it worth the effort anyway.

I wonder what impact this will have on both companies and the BBQ/Grill community.

i have the 4 block meater and will keep it out of trash. i dont need another so no problam. i just wont update software as it works excellent now. the fit and finish of the 4 probe case is really nice

Reactions: kilo charlie
i have the 4 block meater and will keep it out of trash. i dont need another so no problam. i just wont update software as it works excellent now. the fit and finish of the 4 probe case is really nice

I have a feeling the app update will be mandatory

well if i use bluetooth only and not hotspot off my phone my meater wont know that theres an update cause no internet eh?? my new s21+ has way better range for bluetooth than old s8. we dont have cable net we use only phones for internet and each have 30 gig hotspot, for streaming movies ect i just cast to tv and use data, i usually use about 250 gig a month and service never slows. if over 30 gig on hotspot and that does slow

Last edited:
so is the 4 probe block the only one with wifi??? never mind i went on there site

Last edited:
I'm no MBA but I sure can't see the business sense of this acquisition. Unless Traeger thinks selling a lot of their accessories via a "separate business" can expand their market share for those accessories or permit bigger profit margins? It seems hard to believe Traeger doesn't already have the technical expertise that Meater brings to the party.
Or maybe Meater just makes a lot of money and Traeger just plans to leave them alone and enjoy their profits.
I would expect more emphasis on rotisserie cooking from Traeger now that wireless extends all the way to the probe in the meat.
At least whoever is Meater's Founder just got a nice Retirement package.

The "Traeger" brand is the oldest in the pellet grill family. It has a lot of dedicated followers.
Expanding their line is long overdue to keep the name active in the expanding pellet grill market.

I don't see this as expanding their line. Buying up a cheap brand or a Made-in-USA premium brand would expand their line. A vertical cabinet pellet machine would expand their line. This is an accessory. It's like GM buying a headlamp company...it's the opposite direction of current business trends.

Reactions: BATMON
Sheez, you guys are tough on Traeger! The first one is always special, no?

Personally I like cheap pellet machines with easy-to-find Chinese replacement parts...I have two of them! And I love Traeger as a great cheap pellet machine...that just happens to be quite expensive...OK so maybe value is not its strong suit. :emoji_laughing: But they look nice, and you gotta' admit, the embossed name on the gold lid is pretty sweet.

Traeger will always be #1, at least when given in chronological order. Salute the stripes, Folks! :emoji_wink:

I don't see this as expanding their line. Buying up a cheap brand or a Made-in-USA premium brand would expand their line. A vertical cabinet pellet machine would expand their line. This is an accessory. It's like GM buying a headlamp company...it's the opposite direction of current business trends.
Traeger was the top brand for the general public due to introducing a pellet pooper and the US quality build.
There are many zealots in the mix to purchase anything with a Traeger name.
I will not willingly purchase anything with the Traeger name as it is Chinese owned since he sold out

I thought Joe Traeger sold to a Utah based capital investment firm a few years after all his patents ran out? I thought Mitt Romney's son was involved?
But I don't think Traeger Grills is Chinese-owned.

This is what’s wrong with business today. Everyone looking for that “million”
In my America, Meater should have bought Treager and made it American again. Instead more Chinese buying more American companies. This isn’t working well for the rest of us.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky