Touchdown

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mtnlakeman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I'm posting this a little early as I have been looking everywhere for a football appetizer using sourdough (SF) and BBQ (KC). There really isn't a lot out there and I thought this is so simple perhaps others are also looking for something easy and tasty while watching the commercials.

This will be a 2 part post showing the goal and what I've learned getting here and part 2 smoking a butt and the finished product.
I started out I wanted a football shaped pastie made with sourdough and bbq so wanted to do some experimenting before I put it in front of guests.
20200131_120206.jpg

Nothing special here other than I had a chicken thigh I pulled and soused with some Sweet Baby Ray bbq sauce to see if I was going down the right path. I have a big crock of sourdough so rolled it out to 1/4" and cut it into football shapes. I put a spoonful of chicken in it, sealed the edges and put some vents in it in the shape of laces. Then put an egg wash on it and put it in the oven for 12 minutes. These are about 3" long for reference so quite small.
20200131_121940.jpg

They look great, and trying one out I found they were too much SanFran, and needed a lot more BBQ, but I can't get more bbq and seal the edges at the same time. A big dud.
Round 2 was open face with cheddar and mozzarella acting as the laces.
20200131_125751.jpg

They're crazy goos and you can see the mozzarella kept the lace shape better than the cheddar. I'm out of chicken so am done experimenting for the day, but am starting a butt in the morning. I will be updating this post, but I wanted to share where I'm at because it's a spin on a traditional slider that's quite fitting the two teams.

Attachments

• 20200131_121940.jpg
    20200131_121940.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2
What if you did the football shaped pastry with no bbq inside the just slice them like a normal slider bun after cooking fill as usual with pork and bam! Just a thought.
G

Reactions: tallbm
Ok, I'm back at it. I decided instead of cooking the butt today I thought I'd cook it all night and pull it tomorrow. I put a homeade rub with a little cure on it this am and wrapped it tight in Saran wrap threw it in the fridge and let the osmosis work.

I have a question though. To score or not to score? I'm of strong opinion to replicate the bark of the wood you're using and this one's getting a 50/50 hickory and alder mix so the muscle side is scored and the fat side smooth.
I think the score gets better bark and a little more smoke, but that's just my opinion. Interested in what those in the know think?

20200201_063052.jpg

20200201_203946.jpg

It's headed to the smokehouse soon.

What if you did the football shaped pastry with no bbq inside the just slice them like a normal slider bun after cooking fill as usual with pork and bam! Just a thought.
G
I liked the thought so I made some sourdough buns (which I also don't know how to make), which weren't in a football shape and think it's still too bready for a finger food. It was an improvement to yesterday so I think there's going to be some last minute adjustments of trying thinner dough or fluffier open faced.
20200201_142648.jpg

I doubt too many other than me get excited about a bubbling crock of sourdough, but just in case there's one out there this is about as good s it gets.

20200201_213510.jpg

Last minute emergencies as normal. We had a 27 degree drop in temperatures overnight so when I got up the Smokehouse was sitting at 205 and the KC was at 163. The dilemma was open the door and put more wood on which loses about an hour or pull it and wrap it and put in the oven so decided for the latter. 3 hours till game time and it's at 191. Footballs are cut, rising and waiting for a hot oven. I smoked a bunch of blue cheese awhile back so that got crumbled and going into a stuffed mushroom. Will post more pics after I pull the grub.

20200201_215252.jpg

9pm. SH 150 degrees; KC pork - 52 degrees, good coals and just loaded with 4 hours of 50/50 hickory alder smoke wood and hope 225 degrees in the SH by the am. No que view tonight.

20200202_063713.jpg

5:50am 205 SH; 163 pork. Not happy as have to open the door to start propane or add wood. Will check in an hour.

20200202_072217.jpg

Bacon blue cheese stuffed mushrooms typically don't last too long arounr our house so while I'm waiting to see what's going on in the Smokehouse I'm throwing these together.

20200202_083726.jpg

6:30 @ 165, got to pull it.
20200202_083940.jpg

Good bye beautiful bark.

20200202_114751.jpg

Here comes the 49ers. Sourdough cut and rising. Going with the slim slider recommendation.

20200202_125348.jpg

Mushrooms stuffed and waiting for the dumb oven. Time to pop a brewski.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky