Too much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Flash,

That pic says it all!!!

You got my one REP for the day.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That is some stank smoke Flash. Great contrast photo. Really illustrates the difference. What did you use north american sugar plywood?
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nice pic!

So, tomorrow's the day (Although I've done it 8 times before, this one is going to be VERY different) - I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!!

As far as Wood Chunk choice - I was thinking Mesquite or Apple, something like that - probably staying away from Hickory .... Thoughts?

As far as Lump Charcoal - I was going to get the Royal Oak stuff.

I do not think I am going to soak the wood chunks, but I am going to wrap them in some foil.

Can't wait to post the pic's and results.

Thanks for all the help.

Another question...I think for the most part I will leave the Chimney flute half way open and then leave the door to the fire box about a 1/3 open...that sound about right? I know you guys tweak it, etc. which I might - but to start out I think that will be my direction.

Personally I think mesquite is even stronger than hickory - so if you're trying to tone it down a little, go with the apple wood. Soaking it ain't a bad thing either - the point of soaking/foiling it is to get it to smolder and not flame up and burn. When it flames up is when you get the heavy white smoke that's packed with the bitter cresote you're tasting. Keep it light and steady.

BTW, Flash that is indeed a great illustration of "do" and "don't" smoke.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

TD I would leave both the flute and firebox full open. Adjust the heat with your fuel. More air means more thin blue smoke.

I got a question about which wood to use for the charcoal fire...

2 Choices:

1. Royal Oaks Premium Charcoal Briquets
2. Cowboy Brand 100% All Natural Hardwood Lump Charcoal

Once I get that fire going - I'm going to sparingly add tin-foil wrapped chunks of Hickory.

Thanks for the help!

Without a doubt, royal oak. Cowboy is not so good. Burns really hot, but way too fast in my opinion.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky