Too cold to smoke my boston butt, but it's already in the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soupster

Original poster
Jun 14, 2015
I put two pork shoulders in, but can't get my smoker up to temp.  170 degrees max.  I'm thinking about putting as much smoke on them as I can, them bringing them in to finish in the oven.  Any advice?

Sorry but I'm not familiar with that unit. If you have a welding blanket to wrap around it maybe that will help?

Once again, sorry I'm not much help.

No worries.  I thought about the blanket, but I don't have anything heavy enough.  Thanks, anyway.

Soupster... it sounds like the safety valve on the propane tank has kicked in.. Is your flame as high as usual ? try this... turn off the valve on the tank.. let it sit for a few minutes with control knob on so the hose will drain... now turn off control knob and then open the valve VERY SLOW.... did I say VERY SLOW... what happens is when the valve is turned on fast the safety valve has no back pressure and it (safety valve) thinks the gas line has been cut or disconnected.... so try that and relight and see if you get a bigger flame....

Last edited:
Hey Fellas,  Sorry I haven't been back on since it got cold.  What happened was I put smoke on that thing for a couple hours and then put it in the oven to finish at 225.  It was delicious.  Now, I'm back outside as spring has finally sprung.  Thanks for chipping in to help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky