To wrap or not to wrap that is the question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greythound

Original poster
Jul 20, 2023
Hello all. I've been a lurker on these forums for years and have gleaned a lot of knowledge from the posters, so I want to thank everyone for that.

I have been smoking for nearly a decade, ribs, turkey, chicken (whole, parts, and wings), brisket, butt and even a salmon a couple of times.

This weekend we are having a birthday party for my son and son-in-law. All told there will be 13 people attending and I'm going to be smoking 9 racks of ribs. In the past I've just smoked them and have only done the 2-2-1 method a couple of times with good results.

When I used the 2-2-1 method I used foil, but have recently been using pink butcher paper when smoking brisket. I plan on using the 2-2-1 method this weekend (I want to ensure everything is done on time, not that I've had much of a problem with that without wrapping) and am wondering if foil or butcher paper is the better use for it.

I appreciate you thoughts on this. Thank you.

Reactions: JLeonard
I usually dont wrap but have used pink butcher paper with good results. Since you’re doing 9 racks why not stick with your foil that you know works for most of the racks and try a rack or two with paper. It will certainly be edible just a lil different.

Hello all. I've been a lurker on these forums for years and have gleaned a lot of knowledge from the posters, so I want to thank everyone for that.

I have been smoking for nearly a decade, ribs, turkey, chicken (whole, parts, and wings), brisket, butt and even a salmon a couple of times.

This weekend we are having a birthday party for my son and son-in-law. All told there will be 13 people attending and I'm going to be smoking 9 racks of ribs. In the past I've just smoked them and have only done the 2-2-1 method a couple of times with good results.

When I used the 2-2-1 method I used foil, but have recently been using pink butcher paper when smoking brisket. I plan on using the 2-2-1 method this weekend (I want to ensure everything is done on time, not that I've had much of a problem with that without wrapping) and am wondering if foil or butcher paper is the better use for it.

I appreciate you thoughts on this. Thank you.
No wrap for ribs. 250° for 4-4.5 hours makes them turn out perfect nearly every time. This method gives a little bit of bite, which I prefer over fall-off-the-bone, but not so much to the point you have to work at it.

Pink butcher paper if you have to wrap. Personally, I feel like foil ruins the bark.

What kind of ribs are you smoking? If you’re doing baby back or St. Louis. And you have been doing them 2-2-1 with good result with foil. I wouldn’t change a thing. I’ve always used foil never tried the paper although I want to. But I wouldn’t try it on a bigger cook.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The 2-2-1 is designed to have that last hour create the bark , so stick with the foil you know. Also, allow for some rest time. It makes both the ribs and the cook better!

For ribs we have never wrapped. Only had 1 rack now come out a bit rough. For pork butt we prefer the butcher paper over foil. Foil seems to make the bark get soft. We got our butcher paper off Amazon of all places and t works really good.

I've wrapped with both, but prefer butcher paper. When cooking 9 racks is no time to try something new. I do a 3-2-1 for more smoke + at least a 30 minute rest.

Not much help here I don't know that I have ever wrapped anything except my drink.
I go along with don't start something new on a large cook or for company do what's worked for you in the past.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky