To Clean or Not to Clean - and How the Heck to do that

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoking Audi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 19, 2021
We did a really long smoke this past weekend and the Traeger is looking a bit rough inside it. Normally I just pull the grate, change the foil and vac out the ash but this time it’s looking like it might benefit by a deeper cleaning.

To clean or not to clean? And then how to clean?
IMG_9707.jpeg
IMG_9708.jpeg
IMG_9709.jpeg
IMG_9710.jpeg

I generally take something to knock the loose creosote off the inside and vac it up with the ashes. A hardwood wedge, or plastic scraper works well and doesn't take the seasoning off along with the creosote.

Doesn't look too bad. Take a look inside the smoke stack elbow. Every so often that will need cleaned out.

Thanks everyone. Will get to scraping this week to get ready for my next pork butt over Labor Day.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Doesn't look too bad. Take a look inside the smoke stack elbow. Every so often that will need cleaned out.
I pull mine off every once in a while and brush off the grate from inside the cook chamber. It's two screws on my camp chef. 5 minutes work at the most and well worth it.

Reactions: DougE
Keeping the lid clean is about as deep a clean as I ever went besides what you mentioned already.

I wire brush my lid lightly once in a while when the creosote starts looking like some of it might flake off and fall. I brushed my grates 'clean' with a wire brush once and said to myself - hey self, run those through the dishwasher.

DO NOT make my mistake. They stuck like heck for the next few cooks.

This cleans grates and lid for me.

1693254053647.png

Heck that’s called seasoning. I wouldn’t get to carried away, like said above knock off the big stuff, for the rest of it I warm it up and then use a rag and white vinegar to get the creosote off the racks and such, cuts it very well, I use good paper towels.

I pressure wash my Camp Chef once a year.
Then, in between, I scrub the lid while it's hot with a cut in half yellow onion. And follow up with a wire brush, then wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky