Thoughts and opinions on holding a brisket via Sous vide for 24 hours?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lams09

Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
Is it frowned upon to hold a brisket with a Sous vide? I’ve done it for 12 hours at 165 and it turned out quite good. I was thinking of holding it for 24 hours but I’m skeptical.

I'm not a food safety expert... so I will hold back on any reply's... But this will give the thread a bump and maybe get a response...

So, this is a fully cooked brisket. On your previous one, did you smoke it to fully tender, then went 12 more hours in the SV? What was the bark like?

Here is your answer from our dearly departed chef jimmyj chef jimmyj :emoji_v:
I'd expect the condition of the bark would be poor though.

So, this is a fully cooked brisket. On your previous one, did you smoke it to fully tender, then went 12 more hours in the SV? What was the bark like?

Thanks everyone for the response;

Yes it is a fully cooked brisket, both smoked until probe tender. I actually for the idea from Chud’s BBQ on YouTube. I did a 14 hour as an experiment because I figured 24 hours was overkill. The flavor didn’t change and it was not mushy (surprisingly). A little bit of the rub came off, but it made a nice jus.

the reason I did the long SV holds was because my oven is unreliable and has high swings, and didn’t have a cooler.

Thanks everyone for the response;

Yes it is a fully cooked brisket, both smoked until probe tender. I actually for the idea from Chud’s BBQ on YouTube. I did a 14 hour as an experiment because I figured 24 hours was overkill. The flavor didn’t change and it was not mushy (surprisingly). A little bit of the rub came off, but it made a nice jus.

the reason I did the long SV holds was because my oven is unreliable and has high swings, and didn’t have a cooler.
Thanks for the follow-up. I was hoping you had positive results because this really opens the door for extending serving time. Bark is pretty resilient, for example I do a pressure finish on my pastrami and the bark recovers. Same with a wrapped finish, and for my Cajun rice and gravy, I finish a brisket in a Magna-Lite roaster.... and the bark recovers also. What do you think about putting a wrapped brisket in a sous vide bag? This wouldn't seem much different than holding a wrapped brisket in a hot box.
Semmoj4.jpg
avQmOrK.jpg

I do SV prime rib at 130 for 24-30 hours all the time. Issue you get for long periods of timis the texture changes and meat starts to fall apart. This hasnt happened to me on a prime rib but has on a steak that was cooked for multiple hours. I say go for it and report back

Hi all,

I made another brisket and sous vide for another 14 hours. What I did different this time was that I used the foil boat method to build up the bark more instead of butcher wrapping. I believe the bark was better, but not by much. thirdeye thirdeye I may try butcher wrapping in the sous vide as you mentioned as a little project. I just hope I don’t waste a nice cut of brisket, haha.

Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky