Thinking Outside The Box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

railrunner130

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Lately I've been looking around for things that I could potentially use as fuel to smoke meat with. So, far I've only come up with two ideas. I would like some opinions and suggestions before I randomly start using this stuff.

I found a decent supply of hickory nuts. I've used the wood, but not the nuts. How are they to use as fuel? Are the shells good to use as well? Any thoughts?

I've also been toying with the idea of using coffee as fuel. I was thinking of taking used, dry, coffee grounds, putting them in a coffee filter and tying the top closed with twine. Has anyone tried this? What is it good for? Would they be better wet?

Thanks!

I just saw an episode of DDD and the place he was at used coffee beans added to his wood in the smoker. It sounded good. I figured I would try it sometime. Cant see how it could hurt anything. 

Last edited:
  I've used pecan and pistachio shells with good results  ,one thing I want to try

is corn cobs, 

another thing I've done is crushed nut shells up and mixed in with dust for

my AMS for different flavor for cold smoking cheese

One thing I saw on a trip through the Seychelles was coconut shells being used as fuel. It gave the fish an awesome coconut taste.

First off - I am a coffee roasteer. Stay away from the coffee. If you get green beans, they are roasted around 400 to 470  to get them at the right flavor - Roasting them a second time will only burn them. Roasting them green will really create some nasty tasting food. They put off a very acrid smoke t get to the properly roasted temps. Trust me - I roast several pounds of coffee every week.   

Used coffee grounds are great to put on rosebushes, just dump 'em on there vs. discarding them.

Corn cobs are now made in Pellet form, Tractor Supply has them in some of their stores; Todd Johnson sent me some and they are great!  My dad used to smoke all his meats with crushed corn cobs!

First off - I am a coffee roasteer. Stay away from the coffee. If you get green beans, they are roasted around 400 to 470  to get them at the right flavor - Roasting them a second time will only burn them. Roasting them green will really create some nasty tasting food. They put off a very acrid smoke t get to the properly roasted temps. Trust me - I roast several pounds of coffee every week.   
This time I'm not talking about roasting them (although I do have some questions on that topic elsewhere). I'm talking about burning the grounds to introduce flavor into meat. How well does this work?  

The corn cob idea I will definately try. I have a cornfield next to the house and am waiting for the farmer to harvest, so I can get some cobs. Thanks for the Trucker's Supply tip. That may end up working better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky